1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fastest & Easiest Plow Mount

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tjaltz, Jul 8, 2002.

1. tjaltz

tjaltz Junior Member

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions for my plow purchase. One more question, which is the fastest and easiest plow to mount of this years models, the Western, the Snow Boss, the Fisher or a Meyers? Since I plan on leaving the plow off, and only installing it when I plow my driveway, I'm looking for something that I can install by myself quickly. Thanks in advance for your help.

>Previous Post: I have a 2001 Ford F-350 Diesel Super Cab Short >bed that does not have a factory snow plow package. I need a >plow for very limited plowing of my own driveway and property, >no commercial plowing. I have looked at The Boss Plow >with "smart hitch", a Western Ultra Mount, and Fisher Minute >Mount. They are all within a couple hundred dollars of one >another. I am only looking for a straight blade, and would not >be traveling much with the plow on the truck, I would only put it >on when I needed to plow. If I only plow ocassionaly and wont >travel much with the plow, do I need to upgrade the front >springs? Thanks in advance for your help, it's appreciated.
  2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

My money is on the western ultra mount, very fast and very easy. Also if you park the plow on uneven ground, the push beam articulates to adjust to the uneveness.
    If your driveway is gravel, look into an alternative cutting edge material. One that will absorb some of the impact of plowing that a steel edge would transmit to your new truck.
  3. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Pushing the urethane Dino???? LOL!!!:D :D

Just razing you buddy!:waving:

4. Manx

Manx Senior Member

I'll give the Western ultra mount 2 thumbs up
    the most time is plugging it in
    In the spring everything comes off to have a clean front end
    and I tuck the cables inside the engine compartment
    As far as not having the plow package
    you will be just fine
    It's really just heavier springs in the front and steering damper
    My brother in-law has a 01 f250 with out it
    and he plows with 8 1/2 western pro without a problem
    you could add the springs if you what thou
    there "X" code and they will lift the front a bit to level out the truck
    you can check the spring code out on your truck it's on the sticker on the door
    X are rated at 6,000, V are 5,200
  5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

My vote goes for the Ultra Mount too. As far as doing limited plowing, in my experience, guys who say they plan on doing limited plowing, typically end up doing more and more once they have the plow. Keep that in mind. Also, the truck should have an auxilliary tramsmission cooler. Take a look and see if yours has it. I'd be more worried about the trans cooler than heavier springs myself. A sagging front end is less of a concern that an overheated transmission IMO.

6. J.Henderson

J.Henderson Senior Member

My Sno-Way is pretty easy to hook-up. Just pull up, align the mounts, put the pins back in, hook up the electrical and ready to go. I was thinking of getting a new plow this year though. I have a 7 1/2' 24 series and have a 2500 Ram. I am thinking may be to narrow for the truck. Last year I had a f150 stepside and it worked fine. I probably need to decide before I buy a mount for the new truck. Hmmmm I guess I better decide, winter will be here before we know it.
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

The new model Fisher has a single lever to operate both mounting pins. The trouble is finding one as I understand that they are in limited supply this year. If you are truly only going to do your own drive, a Fisher may be overkill as they are very strong plows. Not to say the Western or Boss isn't. To second Chuck, I'd be more worried about the transmission than front end sag.
  8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The diesel equipment group will have all the items a plow prep will except the HD springs. That truck will have tranny cooler, hd coolant system, oil cooler, dual batts, ho alternator and the rest of the goodies, and even some extra that a plow prep package doesnt have.
  9. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

If you're looking for a quick mount plow and are considering the ultramount from western, you should look at the hitch n run system from curtis. Western copied Curtis's idea, and to the last of my knowledge it's in the courts.

The curtis plow is really easy to hook up. I'd say a lot easier than my minute mount.

10. bgrover

bgrover Member

Let's see if I can start a war!

I purchased a Boss with the SmartHitch 2 and have had it on and off several times. I find it very easy. The hardest part is getting the mount lined up, but if you have someone to guide you that is a snap. Once lined up the plugs are mounted to the bumper, plug her in and push a button and the plow mounts itself onto the front of the truck. When you take it off the only thing left is the frame brackets.

I use mine like you will, just to push out my 1/4 mile drive that drifts bad.
  11. leprechaun_50

leprechaun_50 Member
    from SW Minn

I will likely catch some heat on this but the Hiniker plows are real easy to put on and take off. Drive in, pull one lever, hook up the electrical to a grill mounted panel,raise the stand and drive off. When unhooked the subframe is all that is left on the truck.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2002
  12. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Western Ultramount gets my vote. Almost 700 cheaper
    than fisher. Buy one now dealers are running fire
    sales to clear them out right now !.
    Mine worked flawless all winter....with what little we
    got in Hannibal this year. But we did get clobbered in
    Alex Bay NY and I worked the s*** out of it there cuz
    my buddies trucks BROKE 1st time out....lol...geo

I went with the boss also, very happy with it, its fast!!! on and off and fast hydraulics.. Also in my area the boss was about $700.00 cheaper as i was origionally planning on a western. As stated earlier in these post you will end up using it more then you planned because there are those offers you just can`t pass up $$$$$!!! Whatever brand you decide on base alot of your decision on dealer service!!!! my boss dealer also stays open 24 hrs in the snow season so between the price difference and the dealer i dont regret my decision. Its kind of like the ford, chevy dodge discussion everyone has there favorites!! Good luck, im sure any of the brands will do just fine!!
  14. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

BOSS with Dollies wins hands down

Make or put dollies on a BOSS & it can be installed in 10 seconds or less & that's no lie.

View attachment blade.jpg

hmmm.... ohiosnow has my wheels spinning now!!! I like the idea was thinking of doing this just for ease of moving it around for storage. do those small wheels work out ok or would you have went heavier if you had to do it over? just curious..also do you run the plow on them or just throw them up out of the way?just wondering if it would hurt to run on a wheel vs. shoes? i like to keep my blade edge up just a little bit i have a couple spots where i go from black top to concrete if i dont leave it up the edge bites right in and lays the blade down even in float mode. i know nothing a jack hammer wouldn`t fix!!;)
  16. sonjaab

BLAZES....Boss cheaper than western ? WOW when I was
    at last years BBQ in Poughkeepsie I priced them all.
    The only one cheaper was a snow way!
    But the Boss hook up was really easy ! The girl that was
    demonstraiting (spl) it was easy on the eyes too!
    My needs are different all I need is a straight blade
    anyway. Good luck with whatever you buy......just
    shop,shop,shop for price and see you all at this years

western dealer wanted $3600.00 installed for the ultra mount, i had the boss installed for $2900 and added the touch pad instead of the joystick.... the boss dealer said they were trying to get a few on the road so maybe they cut me some slack??? im sure either would be fine for what im doing with it but it was the deciding factor for me..im also using just a straight blade 7.5 on a 01 f150 7700 series.. i do wish i would have went atleast 8 foot though..live and learn!!!!
  18. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

The dollies are no little dollies they are rated at 2400# each. If you want more info & pics search under the Welding & Fab form---"Built my own Dollies" it has a bunch of picks & info. And no I don't plow with them on as I don't like shoes or wheels on my plows when plowing;) .
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2002
  19. sonjaab

Blazes........Holy Cow !.......When I bought mine it was
    just the opposite on prices 2900 for western with hand
    held, 3600 for fisher or Boss ! You live in Ohio ?
    man what a difference ! Well anyway I got 10 HARD
    winters out of my last western. I hope to get this
    many out of the new one too !
    Good luck and PRAY for SNOW!.......geo

BTW: Got grass (aka mike) paid like 36oo for his
    big western v-plow last year too.....strange how
    prices differ...........
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2002

is that 3600 installed on a western vee or just self installed if thats installed my next plow i may travel to get;) .. also i see your a gto man i`ll have to get some pics of my neighbors gto`s he has a 64 hard top a 70 convertable and a 72 olds 442 for toys ..but if the plows are that much cheaper up that way it would be worth the trip!!! a western vee here is 4200 installed:eek: take me a while to pay for that one with the few residentials i do!!! i went in a 50 mile area looking for better deals just could`nt find it!! i went from great lake trucks in cleveland to forest park in erie no luck!!next time you might see me drive by in NY :waving: