1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Faster way to clear sidewalks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Joel B., Sep 12, 2005.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

I currently use a 26" snowblower which works ok but I'm looking for a faster system. Here are some options I was thinking about:

Lawn tractor with single stage snowblower

Lawn tractor with two-stage snowblower

Lawn tractor with plow

ATV with plow

Bigger snowblower

The options with a plow would be faster but I don't think they could dig out the foot (or more) of snow the city plow dumps on the walks.

Oh, it also has to fit in the back of a full size short box pick-up.

Thanks for any advice,

Joel B.

2. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

Bigger snowblower

Oh, it also has to fit in the back of a full size short box pick-up.

sounds like thats your only option i highly doupt that any of the other options will fit into the bed of a short box full size. I remember my old sport quad barly fit into my truck (1500 chevy short box) with the tailgate up had maybe a foot in the back. I think once you add a plow to a quad or tractor it will be to long and the plow might be to wide to fit into a bed over the wheel well.
    Just my opinion, but before you go and buy something i would bust out a trusty tape measure and take some measurements.

3. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

If you get a tractor with a blower definetly get the 2 stage. We have a john deere 316 with single stage and if there snot enough snow it barely throws it and if its too hevay or high it will clog up all the time. But I think a tractor with a blower and a cab( without a cab will suck big time) would work good.

4. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

for really light snow, I was wondering if you could use a backpack blower--like in lawncare. It wouldn't work for heavy stuff but for most storms it might be an option.

5. Scottish Lscape

Scottish Lscape Member

Each truck travels with a snowblower and power broom.
    ATV w/plow is used @ 2 condo's

6. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

A front mount Grasshopper Mower with a V or straight blade!? They can really push some snow! :cool:

7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

small tractor with 2 stage blower

8. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

I hope in a few years ill have a 46" 2 stage on a garden tractor to accompany my 2 walk behind snowthrowers but thats in the future with an eclosed trailer.

Id recommend www.simplicitymfg.com commercial built snowthrowers, their models have the frame and handles all in one welded piece. They get great traction. eat through ice and snow and can get pretty large, not like large like home depot crap ones.

They make them upto 38" but id say something like what i have moves pretty fast. the 2006 13hp/32" fits in the full size pickup easily with a taller cap even and will eat up snow with ease. The Briggs intek snow engine is quiet and fuel efficient too. I go basically a whole day 9ish hours on and off with about 2 tank fillups, so 2gallons give or take. Theyre around $2k or a little more

9. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

WE use back pack blowers when its a dry light snow. We also have a ATV w/ plow this works good in most places, then snow blowers work in tigher places. If your doing wide side walks, I just run down them w/ the truck plow.

10. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow Senior Member

Just curious, what are power brooms? Are power brooms the attachment that you put onto your trimmer, or are they something completely different. Thanks.

11. Scottish Lscape

Scottish Lscape Member

Yes, That is what they are, right on the trimmers. Works great in snow up to 6" wet, 8" dry.

12. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

We use atvs with plows. They are faster than the tractors.

13. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

go for the atvs they work awesome.!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinkup:

14. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

ATV's with 60" plows are very effective until the snow gets about 6" deep, then they become time eaters. We have run up to 4 ATV's each time it snows for the last 8 years. They are actoully faster than a pickup on some small lots even. Thats how I started out and now I'm the only one left on our home town.