1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Faster Hydraulics....?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by TJS, Dec 24, 2008.

1. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I have a Fenner DC-80SP set up for my Old School heavy ass Diamond mounted to a MM1 set up. It comes with a 1.6cc/rev (.098ci/rev) pump and a standard duty KMD1 motor. I know this plow is heavy but I am also tired of slow hydraulics. So I was looking around and found the same family gear pump that is 2.5cc/rev and then replace the motor with the KMD3 which is a heavy duty motor. That is an increase of 56.25% more volume.
    I have not bought these parts yet but the gear pump is 65.00 and the motor 110.00.
    Will this bigger gear pump put too much of a tax on my truck's electrical system ? or can I even go with a bigger gear pump.

Here is the site for some parts and such.

I have done everything to this pump. Cleaned and flushed, changed screen, removed cylinders flushed and put in the blue fluid. Also I have 2.0" bore angle cylinders. All power cables are #4 and new. I have adjusted the lift pressure to 2600 psi and the angle ones to 2000 psi. Alternator and battery are good. All wiring is new. I had this pump on my 85 chevy before with the same plow and it was still slow. Now it is on a 2002 SuperDuty (gas).

I have a buddy who has a Boss and it is so fast I cannot believe it.
    I think BOSS uses Fenner/SPX Stone pumps too, but not as heavy as my Diamond blade.

Need some input on my potential pump mods.