1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fastening uhmw cutting edges

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Greenery, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

Hey guys, I'm going to be installing uhmw poly edges on a couple plows this year. My concern is with fastening them to the moldboard. Do I need a piece of flat stock the entire length of the edge or are big washers going to be sufficient? I'm really hoping the washers will do the trick.
    Let me know what you think.

2. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

you might get by with washers but the blade will be able to deform under pressure. a 2" piece of 1/4" flatstock mild steel would be much much better and keep the deformation to a minimum. you could also use an old cutting edge if you have one laying around. Either way, that piece of steel shouldnt be terribly expensive.

3. AndersonCS

AndersonCS Member

I used a old 9.2 cutting edge w/ curb guards so I didn't mess the plow wings up against curbing. Only downside is you need even longer cutting edge bolts. Took a second trip to Fastenal for that.

4. PapaSnowPlow

PapaSnowPlow Junior Member

How thick and how tall are you getting the edges? Do I need to go 1.5 inch thick and 6 inches tall? also is port plastics the best place to buy? for a 1.5"x6"x10ft its 211$ plus shipping

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  5. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

I went with 6" wide stuff. On one plow i'm using 1.5" thick and the other 1" thick. I figured I would get both so I can see for myself how much faster the 1" thick stuff wears, It was quite a bit cheaper for the 1".

6. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

I bought a 1"x6"x8 foot piece for $111.25 plus tax from this place:

http://www.midlandplastics.com/index.htm

Picked it up the other day, looks great. Haven't installed yet. It is going on my pull plow.

If you have a location close, might be worth a look.

kevlars