1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fast or Slow drop

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by KJ Cramer, Aug 26, 2009.

1. KJ Cramer

KJ Cramer Senior Member

Is it preferable to have a fast drop speed or a more slow drop speed. Obviously the faster it drops the quicker you can push, but at what point is it too fast and you are chipping driveways and damaging equipment, or is that a non-issue. In the past when I plowed with other people's equipment the blade dropped instantly, my plow installer told me that that can cause damages to concrete and asphalt, so I don't know. What are you guys running? Thanks

2. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Its nice to drop a little fast, it knocks any stuck on snow off your blade... When you backing up I usually drop it and pick it up real fast.... That way when you do put the blade down you dont leave a few clumpys behind where you just plowed

3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Man, were you in my head for this one?!?! EXACTLY what I was going to say.

4. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

There are a select few on here that actually know what there doing.... But only a select few.... :drinkup:

5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

:d..............

6. GMSNOW

GMSNOW Member

I have my plow set up for a slower drop - to the point where I am not beating on my plow or truck. Also I don't want to make alot of noise if I am plowing a residential driveway at 3 AM.

I would think letting the plow drop and bang is only going to result in costly repairs.

GMSNOW

7. hdelectraglide

hdelectraglide Member

The faster the better for me and also if your running your snow shoes it will not hurt anything

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Except eventually it bends and then breaks the shoe mounts off...

9. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Basically personal pref. Fast enough to not slow you down fro pushing yet slow enough not to cause damage.

10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Drop and go, keeps you awake too!