1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fast Food Restaurants

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snowpower, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Hello.

What can you experienced guys tell me about fast food places. Whats gonna go wrong, whats gonna go right, what to look out for and what to expect.

Share your experiences.

Only good ones. I dont really want any horror stories for obvious reasons....lol

These are 24 hour places off the freeway.

Thanks guys.

Nice site.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Well,the first thing is if you get it have someone to back you up. 24 hrs places are tough. If your plowing you always have people inside eating and your waiting for them to move. Also they're very busy, a lot to watch out for. Is this a private bid or state bid? State bid more hoops to go through. Is it per plow or seasonal?

3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Sometimes the drivethrus can be tricky same with some of the banks. I do a couple and swing in with my Toyota to do the drivethru while the other truck does the main area. Only other thing is always expect traffic in the lots.

4. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

you have a nice place to pee!!

5. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I have a funnel with a hose leading outside the truck. I pee into the funnel and it drains.

I prefer not to leave my warm truck.

Flash your beacons and swing thru the drivethru between the first and second window to pickup a free meal.

6. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Yeah and Id expect a free coffee refill as I pass the drive thru window. heh.

Grandview: State bid? No. Its a package deal for two stores a few miles apart from each other on the freeway.

Getting real good numbers for it I think too.

150/push
    125/salt
    45/walks
    50/ Calcium on walks

Each store.

7. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

And as with all store sites I hope most of the visits are gonna be at 4-6 am or so and not at noon ffs.

8. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

We have a few 24/7 places like that - you'll find times of the day that are easier to plow than others. Also you'll need the usual clearing between lunch and dinner during daytime snowfalls.

A Denny's on a Friday nite - you better be there before 1 am and don't plan on going back till 4:30 am - Why can't the drunks just go home???

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

And there is coffee.

You can't control when it snows. be prepared to plow it 24-7 if there open they will need your services.

Thats what we do, the worst times is when the local PD is there hanging out with there cruisers idling parked right outside the door.;) You ask them to move them and it's like you want the world :D
    bar close is 3am here:drinkup:
    It's kind of fun watching all of the drunk girls running across the lot in a snow storm:nod:

You gust have to get use to plowing around cars, people and back dragging a few parking spots.
    Get a good warring light and a back up alarm you can control from in side the cab.

10. F350 Snowman

F350 Snowman Senior Member

Hey Snowpower

How big is this fast food you are doing? Is it comparable to a McDonalds or like a Denny's?

Just curious

Thanks Bruce

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  12. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Wont know for a few days if I actually have them but its almost a done deal.

Yes it is comparable to those types of restaurants Bruce

13. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

Been there, done that. Dont forget Saturday night/ Sunday morning. The one here is packed right after 2 when the bar closes. The drunks get scared when you pull in behind them and turn the lights and strobes on. Oh, the stories I could tell.

We have a few sit down places now and did have a fast food place. The biggest thing is dont try to plow them during the lunch rush and dinner rush. Theres always cars moving and there is no place to put snow with out carrying across the lot. Only thing is you get random cars that park over night but you get that with any place.

14. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Ha.

Update: So....get this. They dont want any salt. So we redid the bid for plowing and walks only (Raised price) and am waiting for a signed contract in the mail thats promised to me at this point.

With a clause about responsability for ice management etc etc of course.

In cant believe it though.

No Salt?

15. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Don't worry, you'll get that alot. Everyone figures they'll cut costs by having an employee go out and spread salt when it's slick, which makes sense,

I do 20 commercial accounts, gas stations, banks, strip malls, video stores, etc., and 2 have me spread salt, the rest take it on themselves, at least on the sidewalk.

Usually the cars drag in enough off of the streets around here that it melts the parking lots off pretty quickly, especially those with lots of in / out vehicle traffic where the engines stay warm.

16. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

No salt LOL bet they got 4 bags ready to go ...Give them one ice storm and I bet they call and scream for a salting.

17. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I do the Wendy's in my area and really the only thing you can plan is going back late at night/early morning to do clean up if it snows during normal business hours.

Unless you live in a town that only gets snow at certain hours be ready for it all but always plan that night trip and remind yourself of that while crunching your teeth as they pull in front of you.

If it is lunch time and busy just wait a hour or so if you can. People on lunch break have a set time and they do not care if you have to plow the lot or not. Their Burger at that time is more important.

I had 1 store that did not want salt.

A mystery call to the district manager as a customer complaining about a fall and talk of a lawyer and hospital took care of that though and I was salting the next event.

18. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

A "mystery caller" huh?

19. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

bottom line time time time,time to plow*(drive thrus) time to get paid(took me 6 months for mcdonalds) and dotn plan on making any extra on salt they dont want it