1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fast Food Drive-Thru's

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MatthewG, Oct 10, 2010.

1. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

I rarely go through the "Drive-Thru" whether it be the McDonalds, Burger King, etc. However after getting my BK double bacon stacker or whatever it was, I started to make the hard and I mean hard left turn to go around the building. Curbs on both side my rear wheel almost rode up with my reg cab 8' bed.

How do you manage plowing such tight lanes? I can tell you it is 12' wide, since I measured it with my wheel. I cant see how you can hook a plow and make a clean pass without hitting a curb

Just was thinking about this all afternoon, I never plowed a double curb drive thru, and I bid on this one a little while back.

2. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

I used to do a Taco Bell which was like that. It was horrible. We have other ones that aren't bad, it just gets a little frustrating to sit in a line with your plow down behind 6 people who gotta have their burger at 3:30am. Thats why they're bid by the minute.

3. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I did one a few years ago and had to use the skid and it's bucket.

4. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

You may have to angle the plow one way or another or even reposition the plow as you are driving through. Sometimes though, it's just too tight and you have to suck it up and snowblow or shovel.

5. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I thought that when you had 600 lbs. ft., the curbs automatically widened themselves out for fear of all that powah. :p

6. PGHplowguy

PGHplowguy Senior Member

I have bank drive-thrus to deal with. Most are straight. All are about 3 inches, literally, wider then my truck. For your curved 12' wide drive-thrus you will need to angle the plow the opposite way you want to so that you make the bend without crushing the side of the plow and running up over the curb with your rear inside wheel(s). You will miss the outside section in the bend though. Most likely just get out, grab a shovel and enjoy the cold dry air.

7. lumps

lumps Senior Member

Skid steer or small pickup (ranger, etc) with a 6 1/2' blade would be best. I hate going through those drivethrus in my truck in the winter with my plow on and up, I'd hate to actually plow it. Oh, and you should prolly think about these kinds of things before bidding next time. :p

8. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Haha. 600? More like 1000 :cool: The curbs actually lower, as they bow with respect for the DODGE!!!! :D