1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fast Food BID?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Burkartsplow, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I was called today to put a bid in on 5 Rallys Fast food Restaurants in cleveland ohio. I have heard that fast food restaurants are cheap and dont want to pay market price for plowing. the sites are small, it takes about 15 mins to get from one to the other, but with bad weather that is a little longer,another 25 minutes to plow them. They are in densly populated area with lots of traffic. =sucking down gas! I feel that to drive to them and to plow each one would take about an hour all together. I want to charge my regular $125 an hour so i would charge that for each one. but what i have heard is that fast food places wont pay. What do you guys think and what do you think is a good price. cleveland Ohio, plus they dont want salt all the time, so I need to make it worth my wild!

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I think you answered your own question. Bid your normal rate $125/hour unless you really need the work. I have a feeling your right about them being cheap, that's why they are still shopping bids. JMO

3. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Make sure your contract is clear about payments. Make sure there is a late fee applied to the amount.

Think about how much they will not make if the customers can't get to the drive-up window? It is more than you will plowing.

On the other hand, with volume you can give discounts.
    On the other hand, the low baller probably is not thinking about drive time. I find it hard to charge for drive time. Most employeers don't pay for their workers to drive to work. They do pay for the time there.

$62.50 for a half hours work is pretty good. Times 5 is $312.50 for 2.5 hours work and 1.25 hrs of driving.

Good Luck

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Forget about what you've "heard" or someone else will "hear" that you'll plow for cheap. Quote what you want for the job. Let them tell you that they can get "Joe" for less. Then wish them luck and be on your way.

5. Burkartsplow

I just also received an email and now they also want me to put in a quote for salting also. they did not want it at first until I sugessted it in a prior email. in 2-4 I would most likely have to make two trips to the locations. one in the morning and one in the afternoon in order to keep the place accessible. I think that it could work out pretty well for me. going to bid them in a few hours. any other suggestions of comments are welcomed.

6. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Quotes

From the sounds of it they probably are getting quotes from every plow copmany in the area and are doing it in increments, snow then deiceing ect. These guys are shoppers. I wouldn't be surprised if they were to use one company to plow the snow and another to spread deicer. I really dislike these people who think they are the only ones with valuable time. When I give a bid thats it. I won't go back and start adding to a quote. You can almost be sure your not going to get it when they start that. Also companies that shop everyone are usually the worst when it comes to paying thier accounts on time. You should know that its the ones who get the best deals that usually end up being the real problem customers. Never satisfied.

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I get pretty contrary sometimes and some have told me I'm too independent for my own good. But two things I tell potential customers when the situation comes up:

1. If they're wanting plowing and sanding as seperate bids - If I don't get the plowing bid, then I withdraw my sanding bid. (The plowing bid is always considered first, but vice versa would hold, too). Trying to coordinate with the plow guy is frustrating, a losing proposition and not worth it.

2. I submit one bid - I won't get into a "reverse auction" or "Joe will go $xxx, but we really want you. Can't you come down a little to be under him?"

8. Burkartsplow

got em

I got the 5 restaurants. 2-4 inches will take me about 15 mins per store. these are small little drive threws that are about the same size each. I quoted him $110 for plowing to get a feel for him. he said he had guys quoted him $50. I told him then you are going to get the same service you received last year, which was horrible and I also told him they most likely dont have the right insurance. he said it was a little high and I knew it was myself since these things are very small in size. I went down to $95 per plow and $75 per salt application. He said okay.I am happy with them and he told me that they most likely will need to be hit twice a day during a snow to keep the lanes open and I am fine with that. plus i dont have to do the walks. his employees do them. bonus, dont have to get out of the warm truck. well thanks for all your guys input and now lets see the snow.

9. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

$175 for both x 5 rest x twice a day = payup