1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fast E47 help needed....

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by watchamakalit, Jan 13, 2009.

1. watchamakalit

watchamakalit Member

Ok I discovered today that the plug for the filter closest to the solenoids on my E47 is stripped. I searched and apparently this is pretty common. I have another E47 parts pump but my question is...Is it a difficult process to switch out the pump blocks? Do I need special tools? Do I have to monkey with having the pressures rechecked? Or is it a simple swap?

I need help fast. I went though about 3qts of fluid just to finish plowing this morning. And we have more on the way. My other thought was finding someone that would do an exchange on a rebuilt unit. Any suggestions on who could do that? I need the plow so can't be without the pump for more than a day or so.

2. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

Should be an easy swap. You'll need O-rings though, but in an emergency you should be able to get away with the old ones. Be careful when removing bolts. When removing the gear pump the studs may come out with the nuts; this is okay. A new base can be had for $97.95 @ www.angelos-supplies.com :salute:

3. watchamakalit

watchamakalit Member

Thanks for the quick response. I am gonna plan on swapping the bases between pumps tonight. Hopefully all goes well. I have been looking at the manual and it looks like the only time you have to worry about pressures is if you mess with the crossover valve. Is this correct or is there another occasion when the pressures should be checked?

4. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

Also: during re-assembly of the PA block, and gear pump to the other base, do not over tighten the bolts. You're only looking to seal the O-rings, and keep the PA block, and pump secure. Overtightening can strip, and or break pieces off of the base. No pressure adjustment will be needed provided the pump was at the recommended pressure.

5. watchamakalit

watchamakalit Member

Thanks again for you quick responses. I will post back tomorrow on how it went.

6. ohio snowdog

ohio snowdog Junior Member

Hi guys wondering if anyone has tried to heli coil fix on this problem yet ? I too have a stripped out filter plug. What I did was to take a pipe plug with the square head,drill a hole from the back side to allow for the filter nipple to set in and wrapped about 4 turns of teflon tape around the treads and gentle tighten. So far its holding good, with no leaks.

7. watchamakalit

watchamakalit Member

ok I took my old plug to the hardware store and they couldn't id what type of thread it was but we did discover it is slightly smaller than 1/4" pipe. So I picked up a 1/4" pipe thread tap and a new plug. So for under $10 I got it fixed. Everything works as it should.:redbounce

8. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

Excellent, glad to hear about a cheap fix. payup

9. artic429

artic429 Senior Member

yeah you shouldnt need anything serious for the plug being as there isnt any pressure behind it.

10. sefh

sefh Senior Member

HeliCoils are great. I would buy another one and have it on hand just incase you ever need it again. They are cheap and it's a quick fix.... Especialy at 3 am...