1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fast blinker.

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by ThisIsMe, Dec 27, 2006.

1. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Took the new 2006 2500 with Blizzard 810, out for fuel today and noticed the drivers side blinker is doing the fast blink bit. Rear blinker works fine, front blinker nor the plow blinker is working. I bought the truck and the plow at two different places, so instead of going to the dealer and have finger pointing I am trying to figure out which side it is (plow or truck).

This is what I have tried so far.

1. Disconnected plow light frame (Both connectors)
    2. Front bulb is good in both truck and plow
    3. Swapped out bulb and holder assembly from other side.
    4. Disconnected wiring harness where they are spliced into the blinker cables.
    5. Checked cable where the splice thingie was attached, no open circuit. No voltage present when the blinker is on.
    6. Cursed and swore a lot.

Still no luck. I am wondering of the flasher has a separate circuit for front and back and could be a bad flasher? Problem is I have no idea where the flasher is.

If I disconnect the plow wiring harness from the flasher, am I correct to assume that the problem is truck side? If so I might just bring it to the truck dealer, they are pretty reasonable folks.

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Chris

PS Whomever designed the front headlights on the truck should be shot.

2. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Who ever buys a Blizzard plow should be shot is more like it.

3. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

So true. I mean a plow is not really a plow until it has a "Limited Patriots" sticker on it. Someday I am sure I will be foolish enough to fall for that, until then I will stick with the Blizzard.

Thanks so much for the helpful insight.

4. yzf1000_rider

yzf1000_rider Senior Member

my guess would be yes it is truckside if the plow is disconnected i would think that would eliminate it. as for where flasher is turn it on and listen where click is coming from and pinpoint it. i dont belive it is the flasher seeing as how other side works fine my guess would be ground somewhere. good luck.

5. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Is there not a separate flasher for each side?

The clicking I can hear from behind the gauge pack. Problem is where the hell is it or how do I get to it. I know it should be simple.... but failing me here.

6. yzf1000_rider

yzf1000_rider Senior Member

maybe on the newer trucks there is but all i have ever seen was 1 flasher for both sides. sorry i cant help on location but someone will pipe in soon enough that knows for sure where it is.

7. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Second thought. The ground is the same ground for the parking light which works, so pretty sure that is not the issue. I did ohm out the the ground and it is there.

Emergency flasher does not blink that side either. I always thought the emergency flasher was a separate one, or am I wrong?

8. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

The first thing the dealer is going to say is the plow installer did something to cause this. Most will not even look at it tell you unhook all of the plow wiring and restore the truck back to factory. The first place I would start is the plow dealer and have them double check everything they did.

Good Luck Mike

9. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Well mud on my face. No flashers in the truck. Some module that simulates the flasher. Found a neat section in the service manual that went through the process to diagnosis. Turns out that the module is bad. Going to the dealer on Fri. to get fixed.

Thanks.

10. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

True on the finger pointing. Do a good fair of business with this small town dealer and they treat me right. First truck that they did not put a plow on for me. I did have the check it out after the install, just to try to eliminate some of the problem. Either way I talked to them today, explained that I did my best to ensure it was truck side, they are content. We shall see.

Thanks.

11. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

12. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Thanks for the tip and sorry I missed this post. Seems like I am not alone, and at least I have some ammo at the dealer. Funny, I did have the engine light come on as well for a short time and plan on the dealer looking at that as well. I would be upset if it all it needs is a computer reset and is a real issue with Dodge as the good Dr. Jerre described.

I need check if Blizzard is running the lights through a relay. Not sure how a relay would work on a blinker and I would imagine that the initial coil load would do more harm then the bulb on the plow.

Now if I can only find a service bulletin for this.

Thanks again,
    Chris

13. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Sure enough I found the TSB. I will post it here if others are having issues.

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2006/08-021-06.htm

From the way I see it, the fix is nothing more then a flash upgrade to the computer. Good thing I spent an hour like a fool working on the thing. :)

14. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Can I buy a Patriots sticker for my Blizzard?

15. Detroitdan

what other headlights are there???

16. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

LOL

NO!!

Sorry they were limited.

17. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

I was referring to having to take the entire plastic headlight assembly off just the get to the blinker / park bulb. Not as simple as it should be.

18. Detroitdan

I know, I was just making a joke about "front" headlights. A little redundant is all. I can't leave anything alone.

19. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

I see now. :)

Versus the rear headlights.

Bulb just went off over here. (I made a pun)