1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Farmers Hauling Snow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JD Dave, Mar 13, 2008.

1. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We rented a Komatsu 500 for $1500 for the week but on the second load the hydraulics failed so we did it ourselves. We hauled around 600 loads in 31 hours over 2 nights, I ran the one loader for a while but two of my guys James and Craig did the bulk of the loading. We loaded for 19 hours straight and then another 12 the next night.
    http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x277/JDDave/?action=view&current=DSCN3190.flv
    http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x277/JDDave/?action=view&current=DSCN3183.flv

http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x277/JDDave/?action=view&current=DSCN3181.flv
    http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x277/JDDave/?action=view&current=DSCN3178.flv

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Did you put all of it in your front yard?

4. riverwalkland

riverwalkland Senior Member

I love those John Deere telehandlers. I don't know why they stopped making them. Do you like yours? A company near me uses one, and they stack their piles way higher than anyone else in the area can. Looks like a lot of fun to use.

thats a nice chunk of snow the guy gets in the end of the second video

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It's great for snow and that's pretty much all we use it for.

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Every kid in the neighbour hood is in my front yard now.:D

7. riverwalkland

riverwalkland Senior Member

When I load my boat in the summer out of the water onto the trailer, it never quite goes far enough on the trailer. I pull it out, hook up the chains, then get going a few MPH and slam on the brakes. Slides right in place, every time. People watching think I'm crazy tho

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Whatever works. LOL

9. salopez

salopez Senior Member

Let me know when you want to retire that JD telehandler!

Would love to have it.

10. MB3

MB3 Senior Member

Looks like fun

That looks like some fun. And a good chunck of money. Glad you had a place to so with it.

11. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Nice videos JD. :drinkup:

12. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Nice videos, that is pretty neat how he unloaded the truck

13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Dang, that was a butt load of snow in that pile.

Cool vids.

14. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

cant all be like me ha ha ha:p

15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Here's the 500, broke down in the pile. LOL

Thanks for the comments and I'm not sure why Deere stopped making telehandlers.

DSCN3185.jpg

16. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

I hesitated before this reply so not to start anything bad here but boy loading that way seems awfully slow considering the hourly rates of the trucks waiting but in your situation, the loader goes down and you got all your trucks lined up and ready I would have done the same thing. We usually use end dump semis and load with a min of a 6yd bucket. Which it sounds like you started out doing. As far as unloading that Kenworth without a hoist near the end of last winter we were hauling wet snow and one of the end dumps had liners on the floor and both walls he could literally raise the box about 18inches and the whole load would slide right out kinda looked like godzilla taking a crap! Again I hope this didnt come out wrong no harm intended.

17. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

nice videos....those arent your dumps are they?

18. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

There has to be an easier way to get the snow out of the dump truck. You must be charging by the hour. The snow should be over now, I just got another 45 tonnes of salt today.

19. salopez

salopez Senior Member

my jd dealer told me is a patant issue...I still want one of the ones jd dave has...

20. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You didn't come off wrong, we had 6 trucks lined up because the dump site was pretty close, we sent one truck home immediatly and then another one 8 hours later so, 4 trucks were perfect for the our 2 loaders and we had another one pushing up plus another one that I was driving to help out.. I didn't think 8 buckets/triaxle were that bad, we averaged about 20 loads/ hour and I gave the customer an approximate price and we came in well under that. It was only costing them a litlle over $800/hour so they were pretty happy. LOL Nobody has small end dumps around here like in the US. they are all 3 and 4 leggers and the dump site we have is not suitable for trucks that big. To tell you the truth if we ever have to haul snow again, we will do it the exact same way, I'm not even going to bother trying to find another big loader.