1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Farmers Alamnac

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Long Island Brian, Oct 17, 2001.

1. Long Island Brian

Long Island Brian Junior Member

Took a look at the farmers almanac,(I really don't rely on it) and they said a big snowstorm for the end of november for us in the northeast. I ususally like to be ready by Dec 15, but I will miss the boat if they are right. What is the earliest you guys have plowed calander wise.
    Brian

2. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

Don't say that!! my new truck might not be here by then

3. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

Bring it on!!

Mark

4. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Earliest plowing I can recall was Thanksgiving . Although as a kid I seem to recall recall snow on the ground already at T'giving in my area.

As a rule of thumb, I try my darndest to have the trucks ready, the plows ready, shovels, gloves, snowblowers etc, andthe ice melt on hand by Nov. 1st.

It seems early , but I would rather have the plows ready on their dollies to be hooked up, than be painting and repairing the night before a storm

Better safe than sorry!!!!

5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Two years ago I plowed 2-3 inches November 14. Thanksgiving snow is a real possibility 1 in 3 odds.

If you live in the northeast and are not ready by the second week of November you must be a gambling man.

6. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

The earliest I can remember was November 6th, was actually about 4". Would have been more but the ground was too warm and the ocean temp is still about 45f (or warmer) at that time of the year.

7. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Last year we had plowable snow by mid-November. I'm figuring on it happening again this season - as of now, plow is ready to go when needed! :)

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I just checked my record and last year I plowed snow on Oct 28th. Then didn't plow again until Dec 14th.

9. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

hope ive got all my leaf cleanups done before they get burried in snow. nothing worse than not getting the leaves up and having to do them if there is a period of dry weather. anything after thanksgiving is welcomed though:)

10. BOSS Adam

BOSS Adam Senior Member

wht kinda truck u getting wolfie?

11. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I remember it snowing about 4-5 inches on Oct 6 1986 I think??? Caused a lot of power outages with leaves still on the trees. I was too young to plow then but I did go out with my neighbor. Most people were unprepared. Of course the snow all melted within 48 hours. Since I remember that I try to have at least one plow & truck ready by early Oct.

12. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

I have a new Chevy 2500HD LS reg cab on order... was supposed to be built next week but today I was told not until Nov. 19th... If they don't get it built soon I may have to start looking for another one. I'm getting a fisher V-Plow for it...

13. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I show Nov 13 as my earliest in 1987, that was also the year I plowed only 24 plowable days!, with Dec being the busiest month. Latest I plowed, 1990, Jan 8, with only 20 plowable days, busiest month March!

Bill

14. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Here's a good example of how our markets' are all different. Milligan is mentioning "only" 24 plowable events & our record breaking snow year here was made with 17 plowable events. Usually 4 -8 plowings here :(

15. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Last season I had 33 plowings - some of them were twice the same day, so say about 27 plowable days.

Taking BRL's comparison a little farther, as an example of how the winters themselves can change, I think there were about 40 - 45 plowable events in the previous 3 seasons combined! Around here, last year seems like everyone was saying "What a hard winter this is" ! IMO, it was more just a return to normal after 3 easy ones.

16. jimsmowin

jimsmowin Senior Member

1 truck ready by nov. 1 other ready by 3rd. week of nov. all markers in place 1st week of nov. have had snow here by nov. 25 will have all equip. ready early this year.

17. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Ditto Rob, everybody around here talks about how last winter was harsh. We ended up with 45", our average is 41".
    Latley people have been calling me to set up a seasonal payment plan since they think last winter was so bad and when I tell them that last year was just about average they say "are you sure?" Then I tell them what they paid last year is what they would pay in an average year!

Plowed 10 times at all customers, 13 at the hotel and hospital.

18. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Not sure what the total snowfall last year was (I'll keep good records this season and from now on!) but we only had 1 nasty snowstorm. Most of the plowings were 3" to about 6" - pretty manageable. Biggest problem was that nasty storm was in mid-December and most of those 3 to 6 inch snowfalls just kept adding up, so space was at a premium by winter's end.