1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Farmall 1206 for snow removal

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Joel B., Dec 21, 2010.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

Picture one of these with a loader and rear blower for driveways. I know people say 4WD for snow…….but at over 10,000 pounds, do I really need 4WD?

Also, with over 100 HP, it should run a blower with no problems at all.

Yeah newer would be nice, hydro would be nice…….but 10,000 pounds and 100 HP for relatively cheap………..

What am I missing here?

2. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

Your not missing anything Joel. Are you a old square jawed, knuckle split, gunslinging old farmer though :)? Of course you can but like the old farmers only used for there site or a next neigbor.

3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

The rope and tree to hang yourself from.

4. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

Explain please.

5. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

Your going to sit in a open cab. Your going to ram this into foward reverse while trying not to get it to roll around. If I remeber correctly your also going to enage the PTO everytime you start/stop. Gramps machine cant be run by any run of the mill stud :/. Goodluck atleast you hve slight knownledge how it used to be done
    ussmileyflag

6. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

To start off I have No experience plowing snow with 2wd farm tractors except clearing snow around the farm. But my 2wd JD 7400 and 4430 SUCK in the snow (both over 100hp and over 10k lbs) I use to have a JD 4320 (just over 100hp and 10k lbs) It had loaded tires and 600lbs of wheel weights on each side. It did ok in the snow but nothing to brag about.
    So sure it can work... but how well???

7. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

And like shooter said, shifting the older machines from F to R all night would SUCK.
    Robert