1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Farm tractor pusher

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bnbilott, Aug 29, 2014.

1. bnbilott

bnbilott Junior Member

I've got a shot at a large commercial contract this winter. Acres of open parking lots with salt on site. I also farm. I'd like to purchase a 80-100 hp ag tractor in the 7500-8500 pound range to use for a 12-14 foot pusher, loading salt , and farming in the summer (kill a couple birds with one stone). Does anyone have experience pushing with a tractor this size?
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

We do with bigger ones I can elaborate later
  3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Later has arrived or are you a late arriver
  4. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I used a john deere 4430 (130hp)with 9ft front blade that I fabricated extensions and sides to make into a 12ft box with rubber cutting edge. It worked ok but was not near as productive as our Case 580sm backhoe (90hp) with a 12ft pusher box. The Case would push more snow being a 4x4, it had shuttle shift for turning around faster, it would turn sharper and I could stack snow. I did like that I sat up higher in the deere for better visibility. Also if you can use it summer and winter your just that much more productive. I think a 14ft box might be a little big for that tractor depending on the length of your runs. I know we would sometimes loose traction in the deere with 12ft.
  5. bnbilott

bnbilott Junior Member

I should have specified - It'll be a late model 4 wheel drive. I think anything more than 100hp would be a bit too much (cut into profit). I'd hate to outlay the funds for a good tractor only to find it wouldn't do the job, though.
  6. LapeerLandscape

I think it will do you a great job. We used ours at a Meijers store, same size as a super walmart in comparison so you have an idea of the length of the runs for sizing your box. Our 14ft box is a lot taller and heavier then our 12 and takes a lot to push it when its full.
  7. MI Green

MI Green Member

Would a 3-point weight box of some kind help? I mean power isn't an issue becasue you can always drop gears. It is just traction. My 1 ton diesel with salt weighed just shy of 15k on the scales and I can't imagine it pushing more than a 10ft box due to traction. Granted you will gave difs. My land lord ran a 12ft pusher on his 80hp jcb backhoe. He said he didn't want anything bigger due to traction. I know his jcb was in that 15k range.
  8. LapeerLandscape

The weight box would help or loaded tires. They put beet juice in the tires now, it would help with traction summer and winter. We had the 14ft box on the CAT 420E backhoe at just over 100hp and at times it all it wanted. My 14ft protech probably weighs over 3000lbs, you might want to check the lifting capacity of the loader. When you pick that box up and start turning and moving you know its out there.
  9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

There is no way I can see a 7500lb tractor, even 4x4, shoving a 14' pusher full of snow... maybe a low profile backhoe or skidsteer style 12' for short distances, but not a full sized 14'er.

I have a 165hp 4x4 Trojan wheel loader, weighs in around 26000lbs, pushing a Snowdogg 14' (full sized, loader style) pusher. Wet snow can still make the tires spin on long pushes... mind you the rubber cutting edge is like dropping an anchor lol. I originally wanted a 16' but I decided to err on the side of caution, and I'm glad I did.

Also consider maneuverability, 14' is even too much to take down a road comfortably, even country roads like mine.
  10. MI Green

MI Green Member

Would the 11ft blizzard pp be a better fit for his application?
  11. bnbilott

bnbilott Junior Member

12' instead?

Sounds like the 14' would be out. It looks like there are lots of 12' options out there as well. We're just west of Pittsburgh, PA, so we don't get a whole lot of snow all the time, but get our fair share of wet snow. Thanks for all your quick responses - don't want to get caught with my pants down.
  12. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

This thread may help you visualize what I'm talking about a bit...

13. LapeerLandscape

I think the 12' would be fine. We don't get dumped on like they do in Niagara and I'm sure you are about the same in Pitt, mostly 2-4 inch stuff.
  14. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

ok here goes
    the tractor we put the 12' highway plow was a ford and it had a pauli front 3 point and pto conversion
    so we used the 3 point lift for the plow. worked fine for a bit, till the operator hit a 1" raise in the concrete.
    now the interesting part. the plow never tripped b/c the spring was rusted inside the tube. so the force had to go somewhere,,,,,,,the engine block. yep, 10,000 engine not including the labor
    so, if your going to put anything on the front of your tractor....make sure it has trip springs. have some type of separate plow frame instead of mounting directly to the engine block
    also, tractors don't like to start in the cold due to no intake heating so keep that in mind
  15. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

We use a 6400, and 7230 with 10' boxes. Both mfwd. Real heavy stuff still run out of traction.
  16. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Here is what I use 11 ft Plow with custom made Side boards
    7740 its 86 hp stock Its been turned up some
  17. dodge2500

dodge2500 Senior Member

I use a John Deere 7520 with an ivt trans with a 740 self leveling loader and boss bx12 that setup works great. But a 7520 is around 135 hp and weighs much more than 7500. We also use a jd 6310 with 640 loader and arctic ld 12. It works great as well. Both tractors are weighted and no duals. We also have used a jd 7810 with ivt and 740 loader with a scoop dogg 14' backhoe pusher. That setup worked good but a 7810 is around 155 hp and it had duals and weights. 7500-8500 lb tractor will be light for what you are trying to do. I understand killing 2 birds with one stone because you farm. We also farm and that's why we use tractors as our loaders. Ask jddave on here what his opinion is. But mine would be no more than a 10' pusher with a 7500 lb tractor. Jmo
  18. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Take a look at the Shoule expandable pushers. Very versatile and extremely well made.
  19. B-2 Lawncare

B-2 Lawncare Senior Member

I guess the first thing is are you going to plow during the day when the lot is full of cars? "If you are bigger can be a huge pain" And then are you going to be able to keep up with this large lot with just one tractor?
  20. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

From experience, the biggest pusher I would use is a 10 footer. Even at that I found I lost traction. I have a 90 hp "Montana", 4 wheel drive with wheel weights. Great tractor, great price. I've tried a Pro-tech containment plow on it and a 9 foot angle blade, I only use it now as a back-up.