1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Farm sues city for property damage due to salt.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Neige, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Neige

Neige Sponsor

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Wow

A few years ago a bunch of blueberry farmers in Ottawa County sued Ottawa and\or MDOT. I don't think they won any monetary damages (could be wrong, it's been awhile) but there are now certain sections that are marked with signs that have to receive less salt or no salt. I'm too lazy to Google it.

3. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

4. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

ok imma sue the town because of the salt rusting my truck JEEZ people have to much time on their hands do they

5. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I used to plow off Ransom st a couple years back. I would pass those signs wondering how they got there. I dont think the county even drops the plows out there now until there is 6 inches or more on the road. You have to love blueberry farmers...

6. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Here I did for you http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/04/ottawa_county_blueberry_farmer.html

7. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

As a result of the damage to the Blueberry crops along US31 in Ottawa County by repeated road salt applications Michigan State University was awarded a grant to prepare a Winter Services Training manual. I was invited with a group of folk from the various stakeholders to partake in a task force to develop a Winter Services training manual for Michigan. This manual was prepared in the late winter / spring / early summer of 2013 and was led by Connie Fortin. The scenario painted in Ontario and Ottawa County Michigan is real. As Snow and Ice Management Professionals we need to do all in our power to protect the environment for our clients, for our communities, and for our future generations while providing them a safe winter environment. The process of developing this manual really opened my eyes to the negative aspect of road salt in our environment and was a major factor in our firm beginning to adopt liquids as a tool in snow and ice management. I encourage you to read the manual and use it as a building block in your snow and ice management program. There are numerous suggestions and suggested application rates, once again use them as a building block and tweak them to your particular need. The training manual can be found by pasting the following link into your browser; http://miwintermaintenance.weebly.com/manual-and-presentation.html.

Herm Witte

8. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Thank you Herm and well said. I have some reading to do over the weekend.

9. GMC Driver

GMC Driver Senior Member

I'm gonna ask around about the one in Lambton County - I have friends and family in that area (some on the same road).

10. Mark Oomkes

Trying to cash in? Lol

11. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

About time "WE" use much too much salt on the roads. Its winter it snows people need to learn how to drive and walk in the winter. Dont expect to drive like its summer. Im tired of having my cars/trucks/equipment rot out from salt because too many people thing they need to drive just like its summer. how about just sand.

thats my 2 cents

12. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

I've said 100 times, this industry has been litigated into over salting. Maybe rulings like these are a bridge off that island so to speak. One can hope.

13. Mark Oomkes

"WE" as in Kent County, does not use too much salt on the roads. On the contrary, many times they create as much ice as they melt.

14. novawagonmaster

novawagonmaster Senior Member

I agree 100%. I hate rust.

Most back roads in my area are only salted/sanded at intersections. The roads are plowed regularly and easily traveled (especially with proper winter tires!). I wish all of the roads were handled this way.

The Interstate highways and main roads are way over-treated. They are out before the storm treating clear/dry roads with the devil's juice. So much for washing the vehicles between snow events! Then they salt, salt, salt during the lightest of snows. Everybody around here wants wet roads so they don't have to invest in Winter tires. With proper rubber, you can easily drive on snow covered roads.

15. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Started to read this. Did not know salt could cause that much damage!!!

16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We have farms where certain area's nothing will grow and it's directly caused by salt run off. It looks like the salt flats when it dries.

17. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

My main business is row crop farming. Let me tell you, salt can absolutely DESTROY farmland. It's not a small matter at all. When you buy ag land at $5,000 (in michigan, ie cheap) per acre with a plan to pay for it over 30 years you cannot afford to lose production.

I spend hundreds of hours a year pulling soil samples and analizing lab results to correct PH, phosphate, potassium, zinc, sulfur, etc, etc, levels in soil. It's not "just dirt"

18. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Salt is one of the most corrosive substances on this planet. Possibly the most corrosive natural substance. I've seen salt eat through electrical wires. creep down the wires to the outlet and start a fire. And yes salt also kills plants, kills soil, and even eats concrete!!!

19. Pit Crew

Pit Crew Senior Member

I agree 100%. I would like it if they would plow only. With maybe sand in the intersections etc.

20. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

You sure its not because of Farmers misuse of Pesticides and Fertilizers..... I'm sure you will come back with a witty answer.....:popcorn:....:whistling: