1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fan clutch

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RBRONKEMA GHTFD, Nov 11, 2008.

1. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Hey guys, I am in need of a fan clutch on my 95 chevy 1500 with a 350. The one I have doesn't kick on soon enough for it to keep the truck cool with the plow on it. What one would some of you recommend? And how hard is this to do? Trying to save a buck.

2. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

go 2 the parts store i think i paid 20.00 for the hd1 very ez 2 put on

3. kashman

you dont have 2 take the fan housing off

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Do you have a part number?

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Although i don't normally buy parts at chain stores I've had very good success with keeping the temps out of the red by using Autozone's "extreme duty" fan clutches on all plow equipped trucks.

6. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

What do I need to do to replace the factory one? Like what does it involve, and how much time would it take?

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

20 minutes, and a 1/2 inch and/or 13mm wrench.

No need to remove the belt or fan shroud. Just remove the four bolts attaching the fan /fan clutch assembly to the water pump pulley. Remove the fan/fan clutch assembly from the truck. Remove the four bolts holding the fan to the clutch, swap the fan onto the new clutch and reinstall the assembly back onto the WP pulley.

8. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Sounds pretty easy, do you remember off hand how much a clutch is? I seen on here someone posted, his was 20 bucks or so.

9. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Sounds pretty easy, do you remember off hand how much a clutch is? I seen on here someone posted, his was 20 bucks or so.

10. kashman

go 2 autozone site they will give you a price

11. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

i paid $60 at advace auto for the extreme duty.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Around $60-$70 depending on the application.

13. rockwood330

rockwood330 Junior Member
    from ohio

yo B&B is this something i should up grade on my 03 2500 hd as well ???

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If your carrying a plow without the plow prep package...absolutely. Don't know if your running a straight or vee but the trucks appear to be more sensitive to running temps with a straight blade, but an upgraded clutch will still be beneficial with a vee regardless. Especially if it has some miles on it. Fan clutches do lose their effectiveness as they age.

15. rockwood330

from ohio

stright blade 7.6 westen uni mount .... so the heavy duty from az will do the trick for me ?

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They have for every single one I've installed so far (about a dozen or so since the first one). Only reason I keep going back. :D

17. rockwood330

from ohio

sounds good thanks .. so far i have taken all the advise u have given on the gussets i welded them in this weekend so i guess i should get the fan clutch the tims and crank those t bars 3 turns as well then change the oil in the plow and hope for snow ... thanks again

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Everything your doing will help keep it alive and ensure reliability..both very important things in a plow truck situation. :salute:

19. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I have to get a new fan clutch also., Was working on truck yesterday and one of my timbrens broke. the washer inside tore away from the rubber. called up albany spring, then they have to call timbren to see if it warranted. It better be. they have only been on for 10 months. They need to send it asap....