1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fan clutch

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mcwlandscaping, Oct 6, 2007.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I do not have the plow prep package on my truck (in my sig), how much will i benefit from the HD fan clutch as i do noticing my truck getting pretty hot sometimes when i have the plow on (not a big fan of this). Is the HD fan clutch part of another package that i may have on my truck? Last questions, how much is the clutch and how hard is it to put in?

thanks guys

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Hey Mike, I just brought home my new vee today and it was about 80 out. The temp never got passed 200 on the engine temp, and the trans, temp was at 200 also. I might add I got the d-max allison combo so I am not sure if that makes a diff or not, as far as what fan I have in the truck? Also I don't have that little button for a aux. light so I am not sure if I got the plow prep. or not? I know yours is a 97 or 98 though. I wouldn't think the fan clutch would be more than a hundered bucks or so. Give or take a few bucks. If it were me I would just have someone else do it. I know you have to pull out the top fan shroud but I am not sure what else it involves.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If your noticing elevated engine temps, then I'd recommend replacing the clutch with a new heavy duty unit. It's money well spent in my book.
    No, the OBS trucks didn't use a fan clutch upgrade in any option package.They were spec'd by engine size back then.
    Figure about a $100 for a good quality HD clutch, not a cheap discount store clutch. The clutches are a piece of cake to swap. All you need to do is remove the upper fan shroud and screw the old fan/clutch assembly off the water pump snout, remove the fan from the clutch, install it on the new clutch and thread the fan/clutch assembly back onto the water pump. The only special tools you'll need is a fan clutch wrench (36mm) and holder tool that you can borrow from most any parts store.
  4. Prof Touch L&L

Prof Touch L&L Member

I had a similiar problem on my 04 silverado HD, snow plow prep, the whole shot. i picked my truck up last night (approx 65 F) after the plow was put on (7 1/2' western pro) and the engine temp was normal (210 F) for about 5 mi or so. then the windows started to fog up, i put the defroster on and the engine temp started to rise. I pulled over and checked everything out, didnt see anything, so I got back on the road, after the truck cooled a little. drove 10-15 mi further and the engine started to get hot again, real hot. I pulled over and it hit 260 F, i immediately shut it off and again found nothing. let it cool and it was fine. i checked the oil today and everything looked fine. is there anything else i should i should check? i drove it today and it was fine, no plow btw. shouldnt i have a upgraded fan clutch? i really dont want any problems with this thing.
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not necessarily, Many of the "so called" plow prep equipped trucks left the factory with the incorrect non plow prep clutch. GM also revised the PP clutch to a newer version since '04, so you may want to upgrade it regardless to combat the overheating problem..the new PP clutch p/n is: 15710101
  6. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Mike It's not a hard job to change the fan, But you might be wasting money. A flex blade fan is cheep and would do the same thing in most cases. it just noisier and may wast some fuel. Minor but it can. New clutch fan or not running around with blade on is going to get hot on warm day.You say hot, how hot is that? if it winter and on the highway you can also overheat if you don't angle your blade just right. I could move the blade up or down just below the ground a actually see the temp go down in my old trucks.
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yaz, do you know of someone that makes an aftermarket flex fan or adapter that replaces the stock stlye fan clutch set up that is compatible with the threaded water pump snout (non bolt on style) that the GM's have used since '96? It would also have to be for a reverse rotation water pump. I've yet to find somebody that makes one but still lookin'....
  8. nhglock17

nhglock17 Member
    from nh

RE over heating ect

Remember there has been a TSA out on some Chevy& GMC, trucks, I had the upgrade ect done to my 05 last year as it would get hot just in transit with the blade on no matter what the angle was,IF I were you JeremyIi would call the local dealship and ask them about the TSA bulletin.David
  9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Have you had this truck a while or is it new to you? Like with Fords you may have to transport the plow in a low position with it angled so you get air flow. Does it have the fan shroud behind the radiator? These are VERY important in cooling. Does the truck make the "roaring" engine when it's getting warm or first driven for the day? If it's not, the fan clutch is getting weak or not even working.Look at the fan blade it could be all rusted or getting tried. If you replace it, get the right direction rotation fan for it. If nothing has changed and the fan clutch works I would consider replacing the thermostat. It may not be opening fully. You can test them by dropping it in to an almost boiling pan of water.
    It should open quickly and fully and stay open as long as it's in the hot water.
    Look at the hoses when it's hot, rev the engine and make sure none are collapsing.
    Check out the front of the radiator for bugs and bent fins blocking air flow.
    If the truck has a lot of miles and age the water pump may be worn out.
    Search the INTERNET for parts, places like Summitracing.com have name brand parts at good prices for trucks. I have found stuff for 1/2 of what part stores charge, with free shipping!
  10. Prof Touch L&L

Prof Touch L&L Member

Dave I actually did. They said the fan clutch is the right one, but they'd take care of it if it wasnt. Thanks guys