1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fan clutch

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by PLOWMAN45, Jun 11, 2005.

1. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

anyone ever do a fan clutch for a dodge dakota 318 motor

2. ght1098

ght1098 Member

Did one a couple of weeks ago on my 318. Take the fan assy off the water pump then just unbolt the clutch from the fan, reassemble with the new bolts provided. Not a badd job at all.

3. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

Those are pretty easy. Try to change a radiator in one without taking the fan out. What a pain.

Tony

4. topher4519

topher4519 Junior Member

I changed the water pump in my Dakota 318. I had an awful time trying to get the fan off. No one had the tool to remove that thing. I recommend that you find that tool. The tool holds the water pump so you can unscrew the fan off of the water pump.

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

According to the factory 1993 service manual:
    the thermal Viscous Fan drive (clutch) is attached (threaded) to the water pump hub shaft. (right hand threads!) Remove the viscous clutch/fan assembly from the water pump by turning the mounting nut counterclockwise as viewed from the front. a Snap-on 36MM Fan wrench (number sp346 from Snapon Cummins Diesel Tool Set 2017DSP) can be used. Place a baror screwdriver between the water pump pulley bolts to prevent pulley from rotating.

Also it says after removing the viscous clutch/fan assembly DO NOT place the clutch in a horizontal position- if stored that way the silicone fluid in the clutch could drain into it's bearing assemblies and contaminate that lubricant.

I don;t think you need any special tools- just a 36 MM wrench.

6. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Easiest way to do it is get yourself a 12 inch adjustable wrench, put it on and whack it with a hammer. It might take a few hits but it will come loose.

7. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

Adjustable wrench and hammer worked great,fast and simple solution. :nod: