1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fan clutch

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by peteo1, Mar 16, 2015.

1. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Got an 03 2500 hemi. Put a new fan clutch in about a week or so ago. Worked great until the other day. Now the damn thing stays engaged constantly. Makes a loud whooshing sound whenever I drive. It does it from the time I start the truck until I shut it down and the more I hit the gas the louder it is. Picking up another one at the parts store tomorrow as I'm hoping that maybe I just got a bad one. It's not the heavy duty model clutch either. Any other ideas?
  2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Get the fan clutch from the dealer.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like my old Dodge Dakota,sounded like a jet plane taking off.
  4. Grump1

Grump1 Member

Yeah , could be the new unit is no good to start with.
    Replacement parts quality has gotten terrible. Trying do water pump on ol buick here and had to send 3 of them back due to the casting being so poor they wouldn't even line up to bolt on.
    Repairs are costly enough and now the components are garbage.
  5. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

This truck sounds like a freaking Kenworth. While I really like a KW I don't like my dodge sounding like one
  6. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Yeah I replaced on a plow truck this winter...had the opposite problem. Got a new one same thing.

Third one worked okay.

Better to have it too cool that too hot IMO.