1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fan clutch

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ChevyHDkid45, Nov 5, 2010.

1. ChevyHDkid45

ChevyHDkid45 Member

I have a 2002 chevy 2500hd 6.0 ltr extened cab short box with 4.10 gears. I am looking at upgrading the fan clutch to keep the truck from running to hot. I will be pulling a bobcat around quite a bit this winter and the truck will be working harder and i want to keep the trans temp and engine temp down as much as i can. I am not sure if it has the snow plow package in it, it does have a trans temp gauge and a cooler. Any help would be great i just dont want the truck to over heat at all plow up or down. Also if you have any iformation on putting in electric fans to that would be great. Thanks!!
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

GMT800 HD's were equipped with an external trans cooler and trans temp gauge so they're not accurate indications. The 6.0's had PS coolers as well. If it actually has plow prep you'll find the RPO code 'VYU' in the option list in the glove compartment.

Adding a severe duty fan clutch is a step in the right direction. Avoid the electric fans, if the trucks set up correctly and the right fan clutch is used they aren't needed. Back flushing the rad and A/C condenser goes a long way on older or higher mileage trucks as well to keep temps in check. You'd be surprised at the accumulated buildup that will come out of one. Good yearly preventative maintenance too.

Both these subjects have been covered greatly here many times. Search 'VYU' and 'fan clutch' and you find hours of reading.