1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

FamilyMan Plow Rig ? ? ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by racajoje, Feb 25, 2005.

1. racajoje

racajoje Junior Member
    from N.Ky.

Would just like to hear some suggestions on a late model, dependable plow rig that can seat four or five adults. Pick-Up, SUV or whatever. Something with a proven track record. Needed for a couple hundred hours of plowing per season. What works good ?

Thanks for the input.

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

How about a 2500 series Avalanche? I use a Jimmy, but not for rigorous plowing. I use my F350 for that.
  3. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

How about a GMC 2500HD crew cab short bed. I have a 2002 that I plow with, and in the summer it pulls our fifth wheel so the family can go camping. Its a great truck and it will comfortably seat five adults.
  4. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Yep. That would be the best bet. Actually, just an extended cab would be great. There is PLENTY of room in the back of those. I would definitel stick with the shortbox, since you are already going long. With a full size bed, it is just impracticle to even DRIVE, let alone do the maneuvering of plowing snow. With the shortbox, you always have the option of using a bed extender, which is an EXCELLENT bed accessory. Whatever you do, definitely go with the 3/4 ton (atleast).
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

God I remember years of a couple hundred hours! Not this year though!
    A couple hundred hours of plowing calls for a real truck. Go full size because the SUV stuff is not really meant to do a lot of heavy work. They tend to break expensive late model parts.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I did'nt know Ky. got that much snow to plow?

I agree with above. King cab. only I say go long bed as well. That may just be me but I like the longer trucks and way they ride.
  7. wstwind

wstwind Senior Member

ford 350 4 door, short box auto, with the 7.3 stroker! 5 adults + gear, and will plow forever. :cool: :cool:
  8. motorider000

motorider000 Senior Member

The 2500 suburban would probably serve you well as long as you don;t want to spread salt.
  9. scagster

scagster Member
    from n.ohio

i have a2002 2500hd its a littie long, took me a few pushes to get used to it. great for wide open factories, but a little tight for apartment complexes
  10. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

excursion its a basic F250 chassis
  11. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

If you want to fit five adults comfortably then you will need an honest to goodness crew cab. An extended cab will not do it. No where near enough room. I'd say crew cab and short bed.
  12. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I didn't know you could get "a couple of hundred hours of plowing per year" in Kentucky either!

Nevertheless, I'd say don't go SUV. Sure, some are capable of plowing but I believe they were not really specifically designed for it. Although basically similar to pickups, they are still not the same and I personally would not want to use one for alot of plowing on a regular basis. Go for a 3/4 ton pick up. If you need to carry more than 2 adults on occasion for short hops, a quad cab like mine is just fine. For rear seat adult passengers on a regular basis over any distance I'd go with the crew cab. I prefer the short-bed on a quad/crew cab. The long bed is a challenge to park and is difficult to manuver in tight spots while plowing in my opinion.

Any of the 'big 3' will do the job for you, which you choose is a matter of personal preference and cost.