1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Family Members

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by MillerJoel, Jan 18, 2008.

1. MillerJoel

MillerJoel Member

This is my first year plow and i sub for a guy doing parking lots and I also do some on my own. I have to family members that have payed me yet . when should stop doing the service. Or how should go about get payed with out causing problems. any help will be good
  2. JayMac

JayMac Member

Never do business w/ family

I don't cut family or friends any slack. It's call buisness not doing favors. Only people I don't charge is Mom and Dad, for obvious reasons, but they know they are the second to last ones to get done, because mine is last. Treat them as you would anybody else. No doubt they are in-laws and who needs those? Don't worry about causing problems because there will be, and get ready because your the bad guy in all this. Sorry for you it's just the way it works. Good luck!
  3. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I try not do family until i am done acconts but they keep calling and it usually is the in-law side (for instance the last big storm we had my father in-law called 4 times about his driveway and his daughters driveway and to bill him) anyway my sister in-law has a 14 year old son that could have done the driveways, so i do the driveways and send him a bill for seventy dollars and havn't seen a dime, oh did i mention that he has not paid me for one grass cut and one fall clean up yet. What irks me the most is that he keeps telling me to bill him, if he would just wait till all of my paying accounts are done, then i would go over and plow without expecting any payment.
  4. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

Family and business don't mix..

Either do them for free, or tell them to hire a different company to do it, because you're too busy..

I would never charge any family member for work, unless materials and employee labor was involved.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

You are kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. I would tell them you run a business, gas and insurance is very costly and you plow to make a living, not to keep their drives plowed unless you get paid. Cut them a break on price maybe.
  6. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

I have delt with family before, and almost all of them expect me to do stuff for free. but I tell them how much it will cost, and they look at me as if i'm joking around about the price. I told them, things cost money, and they said they will give me some gas. But that usually don't cut it, if I have to drive to their house, use my equipment and what not. Now I can see if it was their equipment. But I try not to use other peoples equipment. But if they say that they will pay you, then keep asking for the money.

KATTRANSPORT Senior Member

Mix family and buissness and you will create problems. If the person dident contribute to the making of me ( mom and dad) then they either pay or I dont provide any service. Stuff these days cost to much money , fuel , equipment, insurance etc I hate having to explain myself or throwing myself into the fire so I just avoid it. And you should to