1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Family Dollar stores

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Scott's, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

I plow 3 of them and now they are changing the trigger from 2 to 4 for the "rule" areas . I got my paper work last week but just got around to reading it. Does anyone else plow them? I am getting tired of dealing with managers thinking they are god and mad at me because they have had a relative plow them before in the past so now they complain about everything.

Just getting to be more trouble than its worth.
  2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I had a customer call and then send a letter that they wanted to change the trigger as well. I told them thats fine if they would like to re-do the contract I have some changes that I want put in there as well. So we started talking about my changes.
    1) I am going to double the price.
    2) They will be changed to last position on my route.
    3) I want paid in 15 days instead of 30
    4) All late fees will be inforced.
    They changed their minds about re-setting the trigger amount.
  3. smenchhofer

smenchhofer Junior Member
    from in

We plow for only one Family Dollar Store and also received the 4 inch trigger notification. They also mentioned the managers "may call if needed."

As a result, we are dropping the account for we have too many others. East Coast Lot and Pavement Co. seems to be similar to US Maintenance.
  4. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

its all part of the economy. I personal feel these stores should start dropping the tempature inside the store as a way to save money. You going to Stop and Shop a you leave your coat on. So whats really the difference from 70 to say 65 or 64 degrees. i seel walmart employees all wearing Sweaters and sweatshirts at the cashier. Let the rest of the employees.
  5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I cant stand the thought of a 2" trigger let alone a 4" trigger thats just stupid:dizzy:
  6. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

1" commercial
    2" residential
  7. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I got a call from them about the Family Dollar that is 12 miles from me... seemed like a hassle so I just told them I wasn't interested in it!
  8. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

I would have to blame that 100% on the Economy. I just sad that there going to risk customers safety just to save a few bucks. Like said before turn down the heat!!
  9. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Senior Member
    from NW Ohio

I mowed and plowed for FD Stores. They take 60-120 days to pay (if you are lucky). I just "cancelled" our relationship and I am filing suit in court against them. They owe me since last June thru December 2008 for mowing and plowing !!! If you work for them, good luck !!!
  10. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

I cant believe they want to change everything towards the end of the season like this. I was told my price wouldnt change but I would plow less and earn the same.????? Dam they need to call Joe blow with his wrecker truck and no ins.

I had a mang come out and tell me that every time I plow it takes away from their bonus and to stop plowing and salting so much. So one day it was boarder line salt so I didnt apply any and then guess what she called North Coast and complained that I didnt salt then when I did salt she would call and complain I salted. I have way more stuff to do than waist my time with a Family Store manager that thinks they are god.
  11. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

I agree. A 4" trigger is just nuts...
  12. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I only have a few drives like this, but they are peoples vacational homes. So I can do them whenever I want. I don't mind, they are easy money. I do have one small apartment complex with a 4" trigger. I didn't want the job, so I gave the guy a high price, and still got the job... Oh well. I like all my residentials on a 2" trigger, and commercials on 1" or less.
  13. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Ya, that is crazy. I cannot even imagine a 4 inch trigger on a commercial. If I let 4 inches build up in any of our commercials, our customers would hit the roof and we would most likely get dropped.
  14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Exactly, good call.
  15. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

more than 2" on a lot in jersey would cause a 4 car pileup
  16. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I have a 1" trigger for everything. If I'm going out I'm doing everybody on my list. For my business I need to know I'm making "X" amount of dollars every snow event! Some people try to rope me into: " Only come plow if there is 2" or 3-4". " NO WAY!! You get into to many judgement calls. The customer thinks there was 2" and you thought it was 3", now you have an argument. Just keep everything as simple and consistant as possible - much less stress. Don't let them change the contract, otherwise what's the point of having one.
  17. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

How about the accounts where " dont plow on the weekends"? And then I should make sure the lot is nice for Monday morning. Bunch of BS for sure.