1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

False salt shortage???????????????

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by sparky8370, Feb 13, 2008.

Is this a false or exagerated shortage?

1. likely

45 vote(s)
  2. unlikely

52 vote(s)
  1. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

I'm just wondering if maybe the salt manufacturers are creating a false salt shortage, and following suit of the oil companies to boost profits. Maybe congress should be investigating this rather than steroid use or film use in sports. This could be costing peoples lives, and if it's found to be true than they should be held criminally liable. I would think that the insurance companies would want to hop on board with an investigation, it's got to be costing them a ton of money.
  2. Lakestate1

Lakestate1 Junior Member

False shortage? I do not see how they would boost profits when they do not have salt to sell to private contractors, at least around here.
  3. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

Less supply=more demand for the supply= more money per volume of salt produced.
  4. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

But suppliers have none to sell...wheres the profit then! It just doesn't make sense...
  5. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

if it was a false shortage, then how come I am paying the samw amount as I was at the beginning of the season ?
  6. RSheaLand

RSheaLand Member

In my are many towns have switched from sand/salt mix to treated salt in the past couple of years just like our state DOT has so there probably is alot more being used at least in CT
  7. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

When this season started I was paying $4.45/ #50 bag, Then up to $4.59 NOW it is at $4.99. They told me they raised the price to slow down the sales of it so they could sell more to more people???? makes NO sense to me, but I am over a barrel and have to pay. I bought some stuff from Home Depot and it is bigger chuncks than that from Menards, don't work as well either. I have already gone through 11 skids this year and usually only go through 5 total for the year.:gunsfiring:
  8. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

I was referring to the producers. Selling less for more, plus don't have to pay as much labor to produce the same income.
  9. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

I'll let you know tomorrow when I go to pick up another skid.
  10. Ultra

Ultra Member

There is Salt

Michigan is loaded with salt! Pretty bad when I have to travel 1 hour to get it and I watch the news and The supplier says to the reporter that they are only supplying to their good customers. I have a credit card with them with a zero balance and that is not a good customer? What ever happened to ethics? They will only sell to the large volume customer but lets face when they load the truck its one bucket at a time! Its too bad that the world has a bunch of business owners with no integrity..First come first serve is what I say as long as you have the money you should be able to purchase. They do advertise 24 hour service.
  11. Enviouslawns

Enviouslawns Senior Member

12. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

13. Enviouslawns

Enviouslawns Senior Member

14. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

I think I found what you were trying to link and I copied it.

RUBBING SALT IN AN OPEN WOUND So here we go with the next absolute fleecing of the Michigan people and another blow to our economy. The Morton Salt Company is engaging in a predatory business practice that rivals John D. Rockefeller's and Standard Oil. These guys have, basically shut down their South Dearborn mine and was forcing all salt to come from the Canadian Morton Mine. They are now saying that because the Detroit River is frozen, they will not ship it to Michigan. The trucks lined up to truck it over the bridge and within hours, they shut down the Windsor mine saying that there is a shortage and are now choking off salt supplies in a state that is built almost entirely on top of a salt mine. As I am typing this letter, the Cleveland Morton Salt Mine has just shut it's mine down. Basically, they are choking off the supply of road salt and it is now causing the price of salt on hand in Michigan to sky rocket. Our genius Governor Grandholm sold millions of tons of our stock piled salt to the state of Illinois and now we are out of salt. We are now buying it back from Illinois at almost twice the price and having to truck it back into Michigan on our taxpayers. How can Morton Salt Company operate in such a blatantly anti-trust mode when it comes to public safety? How can our Governor sit on her hands while a company that draws incredible subsidies from out state and federal government, basically, choke us off costing our economy millions by the hour. We have independent contractors who are using water softening salt to salt parking lots despite the fact that they ALREADY paid for the salt they are being stiffed for. The state of Michigan as well as independent contractors have paid in advance for this product and it sits in huge heaps over on Oakwood at the salt mine while Morton refuses to provide the product that we already paid for. Now we have to buy our own salt back from another state? This event threatens to cost our economy millions in lost revenue while the state does nothing in the face of a potential public safety catastrophe. Salt was going a week ago cost $75.00 a ton delivered from the mine. Right now just before Windsor shut the mine down it was $150.00 per ton. IF someone has salt on hand, it will soon cost over $200.00 per ton. Every single mine for a 500 mile radius has shut down and everyone including the state of Michigan is fighting over salt! Can you believe that we are fighting over salt in Michigan! This is simply incredible! First they jammed us on gasoline when there was no shortage, not we are about to be fleeced for salt? I simply don't understand why we sit back and take this!

Mr. Miller
  15. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I would suggest a boycott of all Morton products in the future. Detroit Salt is running at capacity, but can't keep up with the demand. At least they are trying.
  16. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

sounds like a great idea to me
  17. Sealer

Sealer Member
    from Ne, Pa.

The gov. should declare a state of emergency and send some national guard to the mines and TAKE what they want!!! :gunsfiring::gunsfiring:
  18. michigancutter

michigancutter Senior Member

Do you know how many lawn & landscaping companies their are? If we could band together as one we could really turn some heads and maybe change some laws or add some laws that would prevent this from happing in the future and protect us somehow. We maybe should create some kind of union or organization to help outdoor service companies.
  19. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

I kinda felt like a kook even suggesting this as a possibility, but that article kinda confirms what I was thinking.
  20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Here's my post in the SE Michigan thread. Nothing personal, but if you think this shortage is contrived, you're ignorant. This happens every time there is a hard winter, has happened before and will happen again. Most of you just haven't been around long enough to have experienced it before.

Sparky, that guy is an idiot. No doubt.