1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

False Outdoor Temp Readings w/Plow - Tundras??

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Resqme84, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Resqme84

Resqme84 Junior Member

Hello all,

I just recently put a Fisher HT 7.5" plow on one of my company trucks (2011 Toyota Tundra CrewMax). Truck plows awesome and seems to handle pushing snow better than my F-150's. However, I have noticed that while plowing or traveling with the plow raised, my outdoor temp reading rises as high as 40 degrees beyond ambient temp. The truck doesn't seem to run hot and the engine temp seems normal all night. My Ford's don't do this, so I am assuming it has to do with the placement of the outside sensor. My question is, does anyone plow with a Tundra and experience the same problem? Has anyone noticed an issue with engine temperature as a result?

2. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Dodges do the same thing. The plow interrupts airflow around the sensors and actually draws warm engine compartment air out towards the temp sensor. I cured it by buying a Vplow. Even airflow, no more erroneous readings.

3. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

Chevy does it too.

4. TMLGC

TMLGC Senior Member

My chevy 2500hd does the same. Plowing in single digit temp with sub zero windchill, rear view mirror days it's 40 plus outside lol.

5. Resqme84

Resqme84 Junior Member

Yeah, it was 20 degrees out today and my outside temp said 66 degrees!!! So far, the truck seems to handle the plow like a champ (plow weight is <500+ lbs anyways), and there is no sign of engine stress or engine temp increase so I guess I just deal with the crazy readings!!! Thanks again.

6. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

A little off topic but ......

I bought an infra red hand held temperature gun for $15.00. When I aim it at the ground during plowing, I was getting the same or higher temperature reading as the reading on my Ford F350 dash. I trust that the Ford has the correct reading because that agrees with other readings I see when I am driving around. Think out door advertising signs.

Ground readings are suppose to be colder. I don't take the temperature gun with me anymore.

7. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

Even with my V blade my Chevy 2500 does the same thing. Glanced down the other day and it said it was almost 70 even though it was in the middle 20s.

8. Psipressure

Psipressure Junior Member

My 2013 Gmc does the same thing. Once it said thr outside temp was 170 degrees!

9. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Every truck I have ever been in with a plow and outside temp. thermometer never say the right temperature. They usually read high.

10. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

All sensors blow

11. NoProblem

NoProblem Member

My 2014 Silverado got up to 132 with the blade raised only 2 or 3 inches off the ground and angled to the right, when I angled it to the left, temp fell to about 60.

12. jons999

jons999 Junior Member

The outdoor ambiant temp sensor is located in front of the radiator, kinda below the hood latch. The plow blocks airflow to the sensor and it gets heated up by the heat coming off the radiator. I suppose you could relocate the sensor if you wanted, but i just have an app on my cell phone that displays current weather at the top of my screen.