1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fall Trip

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CT18fireman, Sep 17, 2001.

1. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Next week I am heading up to the Maine/New Hampshire coast. I hope to make it up to Rockland. Does anyone know if Fisher gives any kind of tours? If not at least I will have been there. Wife wants to see some antiques. Anything else I should check out while I am up there?
  2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I am almost positive I remember reading a post on here from someone who showed up wanting a tour, and couldn't get one.

I am pretty sure no tours to the general public. Stop in Freeport exit 17 for some good shopping.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

No, they don't. I'm who Geoff is referring. You really can't see much from the outside, either.
  4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

That policy should change. In my opinion.
    Anyone from Fisher on Plowsite???
  5. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

I do not work for Fisher or Western..... however, my understanding of this policy is that if the plant were to provide a tour for anyone that walks through the door they would have to dedicate one person to be 'on call' for the eventuality of someone walking in at almost any time. This could lead to quite an expense that someone would have to cover.

In some cases, some manufacturers (and I'm not saying Fisher) have had people come through their facilities and use information gained in those tours to begin manufacturing a competitive product. I cannot imagine any manufacturer of any product wanting competitors nosing around their production facilities.

I know the Fisher people and I can say (with some degree of certainty) that they do not have an arrogant attitude about this. I think it's just a matter of logistics (although I'm not privy to the specific policy of this particular manufacturer).
  6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I would think that if someone called up like me who has bought Fisher almost exclusively for 8 years the manufacturer would be willing to show them around. Mt dealer tried to get me a walk around (he also metnioned the amount of money I have spent on Fisher peoducts) with no luck. To me there is protecting business and being arrogant. I am not asking to view there research and development. Just wanted to get into the factory and maybe get a copy of the book which I have also had no luck in being able to secure.
  7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Well IMO, as one who has taken the tour, its not that big a deal. Trust me not worth the hour drive to the coast to do.Pretty much steel stamping machines, bunch of people welding, and a powder coat booth or 3. And one guy who bags all the hardware.
    The nicest site is the several acres of plows stacked ready for shipping, although right now that pile is alot smaller I would suspect.
    The book is great tho, I would keep trying to get that.