1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fall Line poly blades ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lou, Dec 7, 2001.

1. Lou

Lou Member

Need your advice. This morning a rep from Fall line called offering a polyurethane blade for my 7.5 Meyer. ($148).

This company is located in Reno Nev and is very aware of plowsite.com. Their main product users are airports.

Have a couple of questions:

1. blade is 1" thick thus it extends past the poly blade.
    Will this ledge allow snow to build up hindering performance

2. Has anybody heard of this company

3. Has anyone brought, used, or seen a working Fall Line
    blade

Thanks in advance

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I know of fall line. In fact they called me today as well.
    The 1" edge wont last very long, its not thick enough. You didnt say how wide the edge they offered was. Plus you have to add for shipping. There are a few different companies out there selling urethane, but i dont know if they stand behind their product as well as MPT does.
    I think Bill the lawn guy priced an edge last year from them, or maybe cues, and our pricing was better.
    I have to call Steve back and see what he gets for pricing on my size edges.
    Dino

3. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

They called me this week to.

Wonder where they're getting their phone lists?

4. Lou

Lou Member

I asked the sales rep....he said from SIMA (plow contractors site)

dimentions: 90"X6"X1"

Last edited: Dec 7, 2001
  5. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

i also recieved a call from them

expensive for less product were my findings

they quoted me almost double , for the exact same thing that i happily buy from another plowsite member....

6. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I would like to apologize. I have a feeling they got all of your info off my site. They may say they got it from "SIMA", but Lou isn't a member..... The rest of you that spoke up are listed on my site. I know of a few people that are harvesting contacts off my site. Guess I can add Fall Line to the list.

~Chuck

7. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

I got a call today also, but he just left a message. Deleted it after I heard what he was selling. I plan to put one on next year and if I do I already know where (or who) it's coming from.

Mark

8. Chuck Smith

from NJ

My wife said he called here too. Didn't want to leave a message with her. She looked at the caller ID and it just said "Nevada".

~Chuck

9. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

left me a message to
    dan

10. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

You don't need to be a member to look up contractors. You just type in your state and click search.

Give me 10 minutes and I would have a printed list of all members of SIMA with name, address, phone number and website (if they have one)

Isn't the Internet great?

UPDATE: Don't need 10 minutes, just 10 seconds. On the search page, just enter the letter a. Click search. Shows 929 records. Click print. (of course this won't show listings that don't have the letter "a" anywhere in the name, address, city, or state.)

Looks like they need somebody to maintain the database (lots of duplicates, and a few triplicates, even saw one quintiplicate -if that's a word)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2001
  11. Lou

Lou Member

Well, I guess all that matters is if the blade is good or not. This guy, Steve, sounds like a young go getter salesman. He's taking advantage of a good tool to sell his product. Can't fault him for that. Who knows.......maybe everyone else IS overpriced.......(I
    can just see the sparks flying now.)

12. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Lou, I sell the real 1.5 x 8" x 8' poly edges at 300.00 with shipping.
    that works out to $ 37.50 with shipping.
    I was quoted 45.00 a foot for the same edge, and that was buying at least 100 edges minimum. So if you call for that same my guess it will be at least 50.00 per foot and then you need to add shipping. When I told him what I pay for my edges , he was astonished.
    The price he quoted was for an edge that will wear out alot fater than our edges. the reason they give a decent price on it, is that they make in bulk and know that they have a resell market as that edge will wear fast.
    I can get you that same sized edge for about the same price as him, but we only sell that size for 6' and under plow application at slow speeds.
    Dino

13. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Dave,
    Maybe the multiple listings show up because that data base is set up to be searchable by state, by contractor, and other criteria? Also some companies have more than one SIMA member in their ranks, so that would probably show up multiple times when doing a search like you describe?

14. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Trust me, I know how databases work. There is never a need for duplicates just so that it can be searched using different criteria. That is the basic idea behind databases, to find records using any number of search criteria while eliminating wasted data space. Uniform data formating is part of it. In some cases, it is just because that the address was entered differently (st vs St vs St. vs Street)

As for multiple members in the same company, it still shouldn't matter. This database is put on the web to search for contractors (companies) not members (employees).

This same database could be used for both types of searches, companies or members (although the member search would not be implemented on the web). But the fact still remains that the intended use in this instance is to locate a contractor (company) but being poorly implemented, it is showing all records and simply not displaying the individual members.

The database should have been planned to allow multiple employees to be added to the same company record rather than creating a new record with the rest of the info duplicated (company name, address, city, state, zip, phone number)

A good analogy: A card file. Would you ad a new card for each contact name at any given company? No. You would simply add the additional name and phone number to the existing card.

And as Plowking35 would say, Case closed, there is no other argument, it is a fact written in stone unable to be moved, surrounded by armed guards, and a mean dog.

I am certainly not knocking SIMA. Just making an observation of their database.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2001
  15. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Correct, but the point was that Lou is NOT a SIMA member, and therefore is not listed in the SIMA directory database. :D

~Chuck

16. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Ahhhh, very good point. I mis-read your post and was thinking that Lou was the guy from Fall lines. :)

17. Lou

Lou Member

Dino....thanks for the info. Glad I asked the question.

Maybe the fall line rep got some info from SIMA and the rest from the contractors site which I belong to.

18. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

That is just one of the risks from advertising or making your name available. To me the risks of these type of calls are worth it for the benefit of attracting business and advice. I do not think Chuck should feel responsible for provided a great way for contractors to make themselves known on the internet.

Now that I know about his site I want to add my name. Chuck I will be contacting you.

19. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Exactly. I don't think Chuck owes anyone an apology, although I can understand why he feels he needed to.

How could you have not known about it? Go to any search engine and search for chevy or snow plowing, and it is in the top ten. Not to mention that there is a link right at the top of nearly every page here on Plowsite.com (look up). The only way it would be easier to find is if it jumped out of your monitor and bit you on the a__. :D

20. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Well first of all why would I ever search for something on a Chevy??? LMAO

When I found plowsite. Actually it was part of lawnsite then I stopped looking for anything else on snowplowing. Everything I need is right here.:D

Truth is I have been to Chuck's site but for some reason never noticed the register. My bad.