1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fall Barbecue for snow contractors

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Taconic, Jun 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taconic

Taconic PlowSite.com Veteran

Fall Babecue for snow contractors

I tried to post this the other day but for some reason it never came up as a post.We are starting to put together our 3rd annual snow contractors barbecue here in Poughkeepsie,New York.We had over 30 vendors last year who displayed there latest equipment and we plan to make it even bigger this year.Over 170 contractors showed up and from as far away as Canada,Ohio,Michgan and from all over the east coast.
    We will have hamburgers,hotdogs and whatever anyone else wants to put on the grill.Some of the exibitors last year were FISCHER,BOSS,WESTERN,VARIOUS SANDERS,PROTEC,STORM and RCS pusher boxes,a computer soft ware company for snow businesses,FORD,CHEVY and DODGE to name a few.This is a free event to all contractors and if you have an interest in a particular piece of equipment let us know and we will see if we can get the manufacturer to display it.
    TIME 10 AM TO 5PM
    TEL# 845-485-4200
    FAX# 845-473-1912
    Please let us know by calling or post here as to your intersest in coming to the barbecue.I know its early but these things take some planning and we need to get some type of idea on how many people will show.Ask anyone who has gone in the past what they think and i believe the response will be a positive one.
    Thanks John Parker
  2. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Let me be the First !!!!!

In the words of the Jackson 5 ---

I'llllllllllllllllllllllllllll be therrrreeeeeee , I'll be Therrrrrrrrreeeee........... just call my name and I'll be there!!!!!

Thanks for holding this event John, its a good day outing for most of us, and we get to see all the new toys!!!

Just wish my wife would let me bring the checkbook!

Great time last year, wouldn't miss if for the world. I like the Drive to "PARKER's MAGIC SALT PALACE"

By the way !!!! did I miss the BABES at the Babesecue last year?

John, I think you really meant BARBECUE... dont want our wives suspicious::drinkup: :drinkup: :D
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2002
  3. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

The Vuhmontuhs will be there. Perfect opportunity to combine it with a visit to some friends down in Mountainville again.
  4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Count me in. I am sure soilmover (Mark) will be with me too.

5. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

Count me in. I'll be there with a few of my guys and I will be bringing my check book...lol.
  6. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Figured I'd post this from last year, since the directions were perfect. Also so it will be near the top of the thread.

Ice Management Moderator

Connecticut,New England,Pennsylvania,Exit 13 (route9N, Poughkeepsie).Take Route 9North to Church Street exit in Poughkeepsie(approximately13 miles).Once on Church Street go 5 traffic lights and take a left onto Hamilton Street.Go 4 traffic lights and take a right onto Cottage Street.We\are 2 blocks up on the left.

Route I-87 to exit 18/New Paltz. Route 299East to 9W south to Mid-Hudson Bridge.Cross Bridge go 5 traffic lights and take a left onto HamiltonStreet.Go 4 traffic lights and take a right onto Cottage Street.We Are 2 blocks up on the left.

(NORTH) Route 44 West exit follow through Poughkeepsie.Right onto Smith Street. Go 3 lights then right onto Cottage street.We are on the corner of Smith and Cottage Street.

If you have any questions just give us a ring it should be a great time
    John Parker

Taconic Maintenance/N.Y.Snow Pros
    Tel 845-485-4200
    Fax 845-473-1912
    looking for Magic distributors for the east coast

This will be my 3rd BBQ. The first year, I used Mapquest and got lost for hours..... Last year I followed the above directions and got there no problem. I suggest printing the above directions!
    Lots of one way streets in Poughkeepsie..........

Last year I brought a package of name tags so we could put our PlowSite names on them. I made the mistake of giving them to the girls at the registration table. I will bring a package this year too. Maybe we can have a sign remnding members here to put on a second badge with their posting name.

Last year John Parker wanted to have round table discussions, but we never got to it. Maybe we can do it this year?

7. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

I'll be there. But, i think another location should be looked into where more space is availible for expansion. Your shop is a great spot John, but last year was probably as big as it could get. If it gets any bigger parking will be an issue.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I'll be there also. If you can John maybe you could contact Daniels plows and pushers?
  9. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

I'll be there again this year.... get there early and parking won't be a problem!
  10. Tim1075

Tim1075 Senior Member

I'll be there................this will be my first

from NJ

I'll be there again, 2001 was a great experience, looking forward to another one...... What about trying to get TIMBREN and FIRESTONE there to show the load boosters and air bags .. ????

Yeah a bigger place might be a good idea, Johns shop is awsome but Where is everybody gonna fit ?? You could park down the road a bit and walk , but the prop I dont think could handle too much more comfrotably ?? Are there any state parks around that could be rented for a day ??? I know there are a few here in NJ ....
  12. Chuck Smith

from NJ

A college might be a better choice for a larger space near John's place (The Magic Salt Palace as JCurtis called it..... I like that name, LOL) but a larger space would involve rental fees, which would involve registration fees, which would complicate things. I know last year the city of Poughkeepsie parked a loader with a blower on the front at the BBQ for us to check out... got any connections with the local Parks Dept. John?

13. snow

Mike Nelson told me he has 40 acres if we need space for the bbq. I think that option should be looked into. He's right off 84, no heading down route 9. It's less than 5 minutes off I-84 and the place is huge.

14. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I think any discussion regarding relocating the event should be held privately between John parker any one with an idea.
    He is kind enough to host and run this event at no cost to the attendees, so it is his ball, if he wants to play at home. then so be it.
    Brian, I am not trying to be harsh, but you are speaking out of turn, first with the idea of moving the BBQ and then mentioning the alternate site. If you have any more ideas, just speak privately with JP. There are issues regarding moving the BBQ that people dont know about, and they need to be clarified, but not in this forum.
  15. Taconic

Thankyou Dino! couldnt have said it better.
  16. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Keep in mind that this is not a plowsite event. It is John's event. He organizes it as Dino said. Last year there were many contractors that were not plowsite members. I would like to ask John though if maybe this year we could have an area where members could get together as well as maybe something to make others aware of plowsite. I know that SIMA was there and I think we could open other contractors to the discussions here.

While space is a at a premium at John's it is also free to all of us.
  17. Taconic

I think that is a great idea that ct18fireman has as to having an area where plowsite contractors can meet eah other and put a face with the name.Copsiderate done.The parking should not be an issue since we have expanded our property.We now also have an additional parking area which can hold about 250 vehicles so parking should not be a problem.
  18. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I just realized that all the men that go to this event will be in big trouble, but the attendance will be alot higher if it is in fact a BABECUE :eek: as the topic describes. I dont know if it was a typo or if JP has a new format for the event.
  19. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

I'm glad you finally woke up!!!!:waving:
    I noticed that right away, and pointed it out in a post.

But I do have to say that you are absolutely right in your remarks to snow. He should have contacted JP privately. and not gone and asked other people for space.

Ah but what can we say... we were all young and foolish once.. and many of us learned the hard way when to speak and when not to speak. That comes with age and experience...

It also can come at the wrong end of a punch .... but hey thats another story.

Snow's heart was in the right place even if his tongue wasn't. My old grandpa used to say ...

" Tis better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool then open your mouth and remove all doubt!!!!"

Its all politics... and snow still has alot to learn about being political and /or diplomatic.

so snow
    :nono: :nono: :nono: learn from this PLEASE !!!!!
  20. snow

I'm sorry to stir up a commotion. I did not ask anyone for space, or contact anyone. Mike Nelson contacted me saying he had space availible and i made it public. I did not mean the event should be changed to his, i was just throwing the idea on the table.

I did not mean to open a can of worms. I will contact John Parker privately about this event.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.