1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"fake" intensifiers...

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by tkrepairs, Jan 28, 2008.

1. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

this is just a quick thought here.... and probably pretty dumb.... but.....

there is a replacement for the sealed beam halogens that converts the housing to one similar to the intensifire style - meaning the clear lens, diamond chrome background, and replaceable bulb, not the whole unit. this would allow for a wider variety of bulb choices as far as brightness or color goes, and possible better visibility due to the newer style of lighting background.

has anyone done this? or is it just not worth it to try? i've seen the kits for fairly cheap.... and almost anything would be better than the technology used here.....
  2. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Where did you find the kits? what is the website/ store? Thanks
  3. bersh

bersh Senior Member

There may be some cheap options (JC Whitney, etc), but I've gone this route with previous vehicles and your best best is to stick with quality. Hella makes both a USDOT approved and a european (e-code) headlamp housing that uses the H4 bulbs. The e-code lamps throw a much better beam, from what I've experienced, but even the USDOT version is better than stock. The H4 bulbs (9003 / HB2) are pretty easy to come by, and last a long time. Don't be tempted to get the higher wattage versions, as the stock wiring that comes with the plow isn't meant to carry the extra current.

Two other superior options, but harder to come by and typically more expensive, are e-code headlights made by Cibie and Marchall. I stumbled on a set of Cibie on ebay a few years back and they are so much better than the Hellas that I was amazed, but they are a real bugger to find. The Marchalls are even better yet, but the last set of these I saw on ebay sold for >$100/housing.

The one thing to also keep in mind is that the headlamp plugs for the stock headlamps will be different than what the H4 uses. Hella makes a slick adapter for this, and the Cibie lamps should come with adapters. If I remember correctly, you may have to swap the position of the ground wire to get these to work correctly, but it has been a while so I don't remember for sure, and the newer adapters may account for this now (at the time, which was almost 10 years ago now, they didn't).

There is a lot of great information on the http://www.rallylights.com site. I've ordered a lot of stuff from this site over the years and they are great to deal with. If you have any questions at all, Ken is more than happy to answer them.
  4. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

I went on ebay, and got 4x6 light conversions. The fit the mm2 light housings. They look just like the regular sealed beam except you can replace the bulb with any 9003 H4 bulb, Clear glass with diamond reflector. I haven't plowed with them yet but they are alot brighter. The kit was 9.00 but shipping was 25.00. The electrical plug is different. I made a short harness to convert the fisher light plug into the H4 style.
  5. bersh

bersh Senior Member

Just be careful driving around with the plow on as many of the cheaper housings throw a lot of stray light and can blind oncoming drivers (even more than 'normal' plow lights). I actually got pulled over years ago when I had a set of cheapo JCWhitney conversion housings in my old S-10. I had them in the truck for less than a week and sent them back as they were bright, but the beams were very unfocused, blinded other drivers, got pulled over, and the chrome plating on the reflector was cracking. I've read other reports of poor lens durability as well. I'm admittedly a bit of a light snob after trying numerous cheap lights (fogs, driving, you name it). When it's all said and done, sticking with quality ended up being cheaper in the long run.

All that being said, I do hope they work out for you. I think anything has to be better than those small sealed beam lamps.