1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fake hood vents

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Snowaway, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

Anyone know how to get stick on hood vent's off without EFIN up the paint? Will it make me go slower?:confused:
  2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

heat gun or hair dryer to loosen up the gooo. then get some goo gone from any department store to remove the sticky stuff.
  3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

and you can use dental floss to get under it also if need be.
  4. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

Or fishing line.
  5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Fluid Film! Jk.....although it may actually work. :)

I agree with these guys. I have removed them with fishing line and a heat gun applying the pressure as high as possible. Don't worry about the mess on the actuall hood just yet. I did this with two guys to keep the plastic as nimble as possible.You can use Prep wipe......or other prep cleaning solvent found at your local part store. They use it for prepping a metal surface prior to painting. Works well with glues, grease, and other containments. Let the first and last application sit for a moment before wiping. :nod:
  6. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

WD-40 is good for removing adhesive.
  7. RepoMan207

from Maine

really...I will have to try that. Never thought of using it for that.
  8. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

save your fingers and go get an eraser wheel. you can pick one up at any good paint supplier or online for about $12.
  9. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Once the scoops are off, dont let the adhesive sit in the sun for any length of time before you finish the job.
  10. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

I agree.
    Heat gun and then pull them off.
    If you have a lot of adhesive left the eraser wheels work great.
    They'll take off vinyl pinstripes, lettering, decals, etc.. as well.

Looks like what's on this crud thug:

That's what we used to get the adhesive off under all the F-350 and Power Stroke badges on my truck.

If most of the adhesive comes off with the vent. Rub it down with some 3M adhesive remover to get any residue off.
  11. RepoMan207

from Maine

DC, thats pretty sweet, mine is completely round with no grooves to it. That looks like it would have alot more bite on the bigger jobs. There slick for removing pin stripe too. The actual wheel isn't Snap On is it? My local suppliers (Napa and Keystone Auto) doesn't have anything like that up here.
  12. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Pretty sure it is, came with the Snap-On crud thug along with a few other wheels.

Just have to be careful not to burn the paint.

Luckily a good buddy of mine has a body shop/repair shop so I get to use all the cool tools without having to buy them, :D
  13. RepoMan207

from Maine

yeah, that is a plus. I worked at a body shop awhile back towing, and doing body work when idle. I acquired all kinds of stuff over the 5 years I was there. Even attended a few PPG classes for frame pulling, and estimate. I will look into the sanp on thing. Thanks for the info!