1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fairly new to the forum (at least at posting). Couple of Q's...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sjreno, Sep 17, 2007.

1. sjreno

sjreno Junior Member

First, I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Sal. I've been in this business going on 4 years now. Just starting to get into commercial accounts, and I gotta say this site has been plenty helpful! Now my question, regarding sidewalks on commercial sites, is there a "standard" pay scale per hour that is incorporated in the bidding process for operating blowers or shovels? They are Per Push contracts. I know what my trucks should average, but Im wondering what the shovelers/blowers should average. TIA

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Welcome, Sal. Best answer for your question - ask around to see what you can hire shovelers for, double that, figure how long it's going to take to shovel the sidewalk and put that in your bid. One - it's always going to take longer than you initially estimate, Two - you've just built in your profit and three - you've got some bargaining room to entice someone when your first shovelers bail.

No, there's no "standard". Just like plowing, it's very regional. Where someone might be able to hire guys at $10/hr, another area couldn't hire someone at any price.

3. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds right to me Mick. Just remember that shoveling or blowing walks is a tough job. It's cold, wet and during all hours of the night. You'll have to pay a bit more for this work than say landscaping or mowing. Also line up extra help just in case, it sounds like easy money, but half way through a 14 hour shift expect to loose some guys.

Good Luck Bossman