1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fairly New To Plowing, What do you think of this setup

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by JayRod, Jan 3, 2013.

1. JayRod

JayRod Junior Member
    from PA

In 2009 my company layed off 20 employees including the person in charge of the snow removal for our building. (1 long road and three lots built into a hill connected by a drive on said hill)
    I volunteered for the position and found myself left with a 2004 chevy 2500 hd ext cab 8ft bed 4x4 with a century cap on the back. It also had installed a meyer 7.5 st blade with a rusty e60 and hack wiring job. After the last snow of 4 inches, I had some major issues, power to the control box only worked when truck was in park, pump was straining big time under load and making a horrible deep moaning sound.
    I got permission to fix the setup and this is what I had done.
    New E58h installed. (black model)
    New harness installed including proper grounding (the old harness was totally removed)
    New control box with custom mount(mounted to left of steering wheel)
    New halogen flood lights bolted to top rear of cap with switch mounted in the dash
    New yellow strobe which plugs in to aux power outlet in cab
    The truck recently had $2500 worth of work done and new bridgestone all terrains and complete mechanical maintnence.
    I will post photos soon of all of the upgrades.
    Is this a good system for what I have to do? The new pump came with a cover that is not installed, good/bad?
    I also have a meyer mini jr 400lb spreader with new wiring that mounts to a 2 inch hitch. (controller also mounted in dash)
    Any suggestions,tips or advice is greatly appreciated!

2. JayRod

JayRod Junior Member
    from PA

Was it something I said? Or is this a beaten horse? Or is it too small of a job for input?
    Anyway I will figure it out :)

3. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Pictures or better description of how long the road is. How big the lots are
    What you sure it can work just may not be the most efficient

4. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

You already spent the money, now plow the snow!

Take the cap off and put the weight in

5. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

agreed and you should be all set

6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Set of Wings

I'd put a set of Wings on the plow, 7.5' is pretty narrow for doing anything of size.

7. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

agreed and you should be all set

8. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

Sounds more like you just wanted a pat on the back rather than opinions. It's a a darn driveway. If you have a plow that works, and a truck to push it, you'll be fine.

9. JayRod

JayRod Junior Member
    from PA

I guess I was a little anxious, seeing as how we get 0.2 inches of snow each year in southeastern PA. Thanks for the input folks. Happy Plowing.....

10. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

Everyone on this site wants a pat on the back, thats why we post pics of our new or new to us equipment, or talk about the great deal we got on some piece of equipment. You can't beat him up because of that.

It sounds to me like you are all set, but like others have said I would remove the topper if you have a place to store it in the winter and don't need it. It makes plowing at night much easier. Good luck this winte and post pics.

11. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I could plow a lot ANY size with that setup.

The issue becomes "how efficiently can I plow this lot/drive/etc. with this rig?"

Which then becomes:

"How efficiently do I HAVE to plow lot/drive/etc. with this rig?"

I could damn near do my entire route with a 4 wheeler and a 5' plow, it might take me 3 days straight, but I could do it.......

12. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Here's another voice for "ditch the cap". For plowing, you need the best visibility possible, and those things block your view.

Replacing the whole plow pump was excessive. A rebuild would have been fine. All meyer wiring is a hack job. It comes that way from the factory. The "only works in park" was probably a safety override feature to force the driver to come to an absolutely complete stop before changing directions. This will prevent the driver from blowing the transmission by popping it into reverse while still rolling forward and gassing it backwards, still while rolling. Doing that is pretty common abuse that some people get into while plowing without even realizing it.

When plowing, make a CONSCIOUS effort to come to a FULL stop before messing with the tranny handle. It will feel like an inefficient waste of time, but it will stop you from blowing the tranny. I'm going out on a limb and guessing that you aren't into blowing trannies, right?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  13. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

Seriously? Any decent driver should be able to safely plow and maneuver with just his/her mirrors. I can't imagine twisting my entire body around all night long several hundred times just to back up--I'd be a chiropractor's wet dream.

Regardless, there's hardly a big truck on the road where you have any other options other than your mirrors, and people are saying they're worrying about a topper on a little pickup? Here, I fixed it just to illustrate how silly I think this is:

14. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

he is simply saying that if something nonessential to the plowing effort can be easily removed to improve visibility, then why not do it? my flatbed has 4 foot sides on it most of the time, but why wouldn't i take the 2 minutes to remove them prior to a storm and put on my 1 foot tall sides? does this mean i am not a decent driver because i'd like to have as much visibility as possible?

oh, i also removed the tints from my truck so i could see better at night, and i wear perscription eye glasses when driving to my improve my visibility - what a hack i must be!!!

15. JayRod

JayRod Junior Member
    from PA

NO, I am not into blowing trannies!! I was cracking up after that... I cant take the cap off because we need to transport weather sensitive materials in the back. I can see fine for what I need to do. The pump was a necessity (again I will post photos when I get the truck back, blown gear selector switch on the trans) especially because I am not going get the chance to use the company card again. The new e58 is sweet compared to what I have been struggling with.Thanks again for the input!

16. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Absolute nonsense. Where did I say that you HAD to remove it? Of course it can be done with the lid on the truck, but its BETTER to remove it where it is *possible*. Why make it hard on yourself?

17. JayRod

JayRod Junior Member
    from PA

The "only works in park" was probably a safety override feature to force the driver to come to an absolutely complete stop before changing directions. This will prevent the driver from blowing the transmission by popping it into reverse while still rolling forward and gassing it backwards, still while rolling. Doing that is pretty common abuse that some people get into while plowing without even realizing it.

When plowing, make a CONSCIOUS effort to come to a FULL stop before messing with the tranny handle. It will feel like an inefficient waste of time, but it will stop you from blowing the tranny. I'm going out on a limb and guessing that you aren't into blowing trannies, right?

Yeah Thanks. The truck has 135,000k. trying to take it easy on her before she goes.....

18. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

As long as we're putting words in peoples' mouths, where did I say you said that?

19. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

I didn't read this thread because it has no pictures.

20. JayRod

JayRod Junior Member
    from PA

Right....... As soon as I get it back I will post photos, sorry to waste your time...