1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fair price?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by MadRiver, Nov 30, 2005.

1. MadRiver

MadRiver Junior Member

This Friday I'm looking at a 2001 F-250 SuperCab XLT, V10, auto, electronic shift on the fly, plow prep package (never plowed), 52K miles. Private Seller is asking $15,250.

I spoke with the dealer that serviced this truck, everything seems to be up to date. The truck looks like it was well taken care of, but I'm having the dealer check it over.

I've been looking for a while, and have seen many trucks with more miles asking the same or more money.

I plan on putting a Curtis 8' on the truck.

What do you guys think?

2. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

I personally hate the electronic shift on the fly. I had same thing in my 99 ranger and it was problematic. Trying to shift into 4x4 without my telling it so. Didn't work a couple times when I really needed it to. When I bought present truck I wound up with lesser truck becuase there was no way I will ever own another with electronic shift. I like to know when I pull lever 4x4 is going to work. Also that it wont be trying to engage at hiway speeds. Good luck

3. MadRiver

MadRiver Junior Member

electronic or automatic?

Does it automatically switch to 4WD? I thought you would have to turn the dial to engage 4WD. I had a GMC Jimmy that was electronic shift on the fly, which only meant you didn't have to get outside the truck to lock the hubs. I figured that would be the case with this truck. Am I wrong? (I usually am, according to my wife!)

4. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

I bought my 02' F-250 SD XLT regular cab 5.4 with 40 k on it in fall 2004 and paid $19,500. Plow prep/4:10 gears/automatic/PW/PD/electronic shift on the fly. I thought I did very well with it.
    My biggest complaint is that shift on the fly. My suggestion is get rid of it by putting Warn aftermarket hubs on. Otherwise, your asking for trouble. I just got done putting more money in my truck than needed due that unreliable vaccuum system.
    It sounds like a good deal on the truck, however, fair warning on the Electronic Shift System. :nod:

5. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

Your right, however, the hubs on a Ford have to be in the AUTO position, then you use the switch to engage the transfer case. The better way to do it is get out put the hubs in LOCK position then once again use the switch to engage the transfer case. If that helps.

6. MadRiver

MadRiver Junior Member

Thanks!

I can handle that. I'll be plowing in an are that is all dirt roads, so I can be in 4 HI on the road, and switch to 4 LO for hard plowing. I don't mind switching the hubs to off. I had to do that with my last plow truck, so no big deal. Thanks for the help.:drinkup:

7. MadRiver

MadRiver Junior Member

Hubs

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on that. I don't have a problem with turning the hubs if I have too.

8. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

I don't believe it's the hubs that winds up being the problem, but the motor that engages the transfercase. I could be wrong, but your just looking at the truck, so it hasn't failed yet!

9. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

It is the electronics thats the problem or at least with the one I had. All it is is a switch on dash that activates the transfer case electroniclly. There are 2 types of shift on the fly 1 there are no locking hubs but you use lever on floor to engage 4x4 the other is electronic shift on the fly same thing no manual hubs but there is a switch instead of lever. Manual hubs or not is fine with me they worked fine in several trucks I have had. My problem is with that stupid switch. I want the lever to shift into 4x4.