1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fair price, Toronto area

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by SlamaNow, Aug 25, 2014.

1. SlamaNow

SlamaNow Member

Hi guys,

Ive been crunching my numbers to get a good idea of what my overhear is to bid on commercial contracts and they seem alot higher than what people are talking about on this forum. I spoke to a contractor in sagua and he pays his subs 150 + an hour based on experience.

Can anyone help me figure out what kind of rates I can charge around here. I am in the Kitchener Waterloo area in southern Ontario and we get an average of 20 snowfalls at or above 2 inches a year. Insurance here is about $4000 a year then the equipment, fuel, maintenance, labor, etc... I'm not in it to break even.
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Wait. 150.00 an hour for subs? You serious Clark? Where do I sign up
  3. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Think he wants you to pay that so you will be out if biz this year
  4. SlamaNow

SlamaNow Member

how much can I charge a customer is the question. I can low ball or I can charge the right price. I am trying to figure out what it will cost me. Its my first season.
  5. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Better off talking to people locally
  6. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Like Burger King you would have to make the move to Canada. You sure you really wanna do that? beer is more expensive here but tastes better. Less out of shape ppl living here. tymusic
  7. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

With this being your first season tell us what you did before, it sounds like you have some business acumen is this a new venture? If your strategy is to be the lowest price operator it is a losing strategy unless you have the volume to sustain it think big box not my style. This is not your best research platform for pricing in your area or how much to pay subs, how many properties do you have to service now,with how much equipment.
  8. SlamaNow

SlamaNow Member

I don't want to be the lowest price in my area but I do not want to be higher than everyone else. I am not looking to get rich quick or anything stupid like that.

I know what my costs are and what I need to charge, I am just wondering if I am in the ballpark to be competitive, I looked at the costs Goliath services are posting and they are much higher than mine.
  9. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

A sub will almost never make $150 an hour in Ontario. Unless it is a property that you get a monthly fee for, and it is an easy winter. That can happen, but isn't realistic. I pay all my subs a monthly fee, it makes sense that way, and I don't have to babysit.
  10. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I think you should tell us what kind of equipment in Toronto gets $150 / hour....

A pickup? A sidewalk tractor? Or a 544j with a 12' pusher?
  11. SlamaNow

SlamaNow Member

never mind the 150$ per hour thing, im sorry i said that. lets just forget about it.

I am just a guy, with a pickup truck and a 8.5' V plow, both in excellent condition, I am just tying to figure out how much I can charge for my services. I don't want to low-ball the hell out of it but I don't want to be high either. And I want to know if I need to get a salter, etc etc.

Its my first year in plowing,

I know what my costs are and I now what I want to charge but I have no Idea what the numbers are for commercial plowing that people are charging. If i go by the numbers that these guys re putting up (http://goliathservices.ca/commercial/commercial-snow-removal-care-services) then I am probably to low. My numbers are based on being able to clear 1 acre of open space per hour at 2" of the white stuff.

I am working on a website

We have been in land and housing deals up until now and I want to get into snow removal. I used to do it in high school with my friend working for his dad and I enjoyed it.
  12. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member