1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fair pay for the guy in the passenger seat

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ksland, Jan 14, 2004.

1. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

What is a fair pay for the shovel guy you bring with you plowing. It is a hard job (intermittently) cold, and can be any hours of the day.
  2. Snow Jaw

Snow Jaw Senior Member

15 to 20 a hr.. that's my feeling.
    if it's a deep cold 0- something I would pay like 20 to 25... to keep him happy and stay around!! not less he stays BUSY.. :D
  3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I pay my buddy $10.00/hr cash, plus I buy all his meals,drinks, snacks throughout the night/day. Plus he's being paid while he's in the truck.:waving:
  4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

thats a nice rig snow jaw
  5. thomasjkt

thomasjkt Member

My snow buddy is only 4 so a bag of pretzel and a cold coke and he's happy. Ya can't find help much cheaper :D
  6. haligan125

haligan125 Member
    from Maine

i give my guy 15-20 per storm depending on what he did. I gave hin two options 20 a storm, or I would get a stopwatch and pay him minimumwage only for the time he was shoveling. since he is 17 i figured minimum wage wasnt bad, since his work ethic isnt always the best.
  7. badranman

badranman Senior Member

15-20 per storm? Like most guys on here say,"I wouldn't get out of bed for that". Per hour maybe.
  8. Hiwire

Hiwire Member

15-20 dollars? per storm? How many hours does it take for him to make that? Is he an actual on the books employee or doing that under the table?
  9. xlr8

xlr8 Senior Member

Shoveler are around 15 per hour and gets paid from the time we head out to the time we are done. Sure he gets paid for doing nothing most of the time , but to have him drive 25+ miles at 2 am Priceless!!!
  10. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx Senior Member

The guy who shovels & operates the blower for me is AWESOME. He's never late, He never bothers me, Always nice to my customers and goes out of his wasy to be a perfectionst. I pay him about.........ok, it's me. He's a really cool dude. I think he will be an employee for life!:D ;)
  11. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

You have to pay him while he is in your truck. While in your eyes he isn't working when he is sitting, in the eyes of the Federal and State Goverments he is working for you from the time he gets in the truck, to the time he gets out.

You can not say on you shoveled 5 mins at job 1, 10 mins at job 2, 30 mins at job 3, for a 45 mins for all 3 jobs and try to pay him for one hour.

Sorry but those are laws. You wonder why is work ethic isn't always the best look at what your paying him. IMO your ethics are the ones that need some work.

12. westernmdlawn

westernmdlawn Member

Geoff: You are right on the money my friend. I wonder if he would settle for peanuts to shovel snow all night? The 17 yr. old kid I'm sure has now clue of the labor laws, but here in Maryland, the FLSA protects employees from such crap. Then again, if the kid is willing to do it for 15-20 bucks a storm, that is his fault. He certainly isn't being forced to work cheap. He just doesn't know that he is entitled to minimum wage for all the hours he is at "work," be it in the truck or out.
  13. xlr8

xlr8 Senior Member

TLC9 The guy who shovels & operates the blower for me is AWESOME. He's never late, He never bothers me, Always nice to my customers and goes out of his Way to be a perfectionst. I pay him about.........ok, it's me. He's a really cool dude. I think he will be an employee for life!
    That Funny but you know what they say sometime your best guy is you.
    Haligan ! Not only in the eyes of the govt. but how about his eyes, they could be shut in bed sleeping instead of making 15-20 per storm . Hope you only do 1 driveway. Minimum wage/ stopwatch ? Thats Crazzzzzzzzzy Man.
  14. uptown

uptown Junior Member

My plow buddy use to work for peanuts, but now he works for cashews. We don"t have anyone ride with we send our sidewalk crews seperatly. This way everyone is working all the time no one has to wait while they unload blowers and shovels, and this way the plowtrucks are always pushing snow not waiting for a shoveler to finish up.:D
  15. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

I pay my shovelers $18.00 hour. I bet the one that posted using stop watch and min wage are the same one charge $ 20 dollars a driveway. Min wage is such a joke not even fast food places pay that any more.
  16. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Give me your guy's phone number. I will pay him double and still make out like a bandit. You are way too cheap. How long do you have him with you during the event? An hour or two? Like everyone else here says "I wouldn't even get out of bed for that"!
  17. capital

capital Senior Member

Hour Wage Laws

I have read these post and am kinda shocked. Some of you need to realize that wage laws are different in each state. IE I am in Iowa and would never presume to tell some one on the east coast the rules.............The Federal Govt has its own sets and by this I give the following.

The Feds do not address drive time in any of their coverings.............Iowa does and their law here is you do not have to pay for Ride Time between jobs and some companies follow that guideline and some do not.

Iowa has seasonal work rules and lawn care and snow removal fall under both............so you can actually hire some one and not pay UN employment tax on their hourly wage.

Did you know in this state the snow shovelers can be hired as sub contractors and again the tax issue is taken care of. (Now I am only talking about Iowa) I do not presume to tell you what the laws are in your neck of the woods. Now he is a sub contractor but he has no insurance so guess what........yes your policy covers him based on a premium based on total snow revenues....................again this is Iowa

Finally.....................how many of you plow government contracts..................State, local or Federal...........have you checked to insure that your people meet their guidelines for pay? and better yet if you are doing Federal work are you aware it is based on two different wordings...........IE I am in Iowa but my Federal contract for winter requires I meet the going rates for Washington D.C. area while in the Summer it is a different contract and they used Midwest Region Rates.............now go figure that..................

So having said all of that I do not care what the competition pays their help.............all I know is my guys show up and work and take the good with the bad and at the end of the day when they are paid they have no complaints on their compensation from us.
  18. Plow Meister

It boils down to one basic principal... RESPECT. Those of us WITH trucks don't want to get out and shovel. We have earned the right to keep our toasty buns inside the cab while the guy WITHOUT the truck has to go outside in the bitter cold and actually "work".

As far as state regulations go... I don't think there is a state in the WORLD that would have a problem with paying a worker $15.00 an hour for manual labor. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't minimum wage something like $5.50 an hour? A far cry from $10.00 to $20.00 per hour.
  19. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

Respect because you have a truck? I let my guy plow with my 40k truck some times while I go out and shovel.
    What are you going to do if you have the flu or cant work on a night when a big storm hits. send they guys out with snow shovels? To get good people you have to pay them.
  20. Plow Meister

Sorry, Turf

I can see now where you may have misinterpereted my portion of respect. I meant to respect the guy who has to schlep his butt in the cold weather and shovel. The guy with the truck makes more money because he has way more overhead. The guy with the shovel makes what he does because it is cold, hard, demanding, and above all else spuratic work.