1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fair pay for a sub

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jewell1386, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Jewell1386

Jewell1386 Senior Member

I work for a guy who has a Walmart and a few other accounts, I pretty much run his buisness why he is at work (works 24 hour shifts) he also can go snowmobilling or on cruises anythime he wants to leave. He has no worries when he is gone. Been with him for 3 years and every year I loose something aka hours BIG pay cuts and now the use of his salt spreader on a friends doctor office i do that requires 2 bags of salt. Also I used to hall his salt in my bed (full skid) until he accused me of steeling salt. What is a fair price he should be paying and when is enough enough and i move on. Like i said I have been doing this loyaly for 3 years I call all the guys in collect time sheets hand out new one get paper work sighned by walmart and I also freeze my ass of when his trucks break down. what to do?

2. Jewell1386

Jewell1386 Senior Member

I own a Ford f350 boss vblade and boss salt hopper I pay all my own fuel and repair bills also

3. rcr4w

rcr4w Member

Well here's what we get
    7.5'plow 70hr
    8'plow 75hr
    9'plow 80hr
    10'plow 90hr
    skid loader 65hr but get paid from the time it leaves the shop til it gets back to the shop
    spreader 75hr
    backhoe 90hr

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  4. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I get paid per lot, not per hour.
    basically I get about 75-80% of what the contractor gets paid for the lot by the owner/manager, and yes I do ask what they charge before I give them a price for me to push it. I have to ake money, and they need to get a few bucks out of it, but I am doing the work and taking the risk of damaging something(truck or property, slip/fall), so I get the bigger cut.

I would not work for less then 75hr using my truck,fuel, insurance.
    there are people here that pay 30-50hr to use your own crap.

If you feel like your getting shafted, tell the guy! if he lets you go, then you might be better off as it sounds like he is using you and not appreciating you.

No point in stressing over it, its just a job and there are a few more out there still. No need to be stressed and not being paid well for it!

5. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 Senior Member

I pay my subs 70-80/hr for a 3/4 ton truck with an 8 foot straight or v blade.

I don't make much off them and I don't expect to. They are doing all the work, and I pocket a small amount. I'm just thankful to have a couple reliable guys who really know what they're doing. That's hard to come by nowadays.

6. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

$65 an hour minimum of 4 hours.......works well. they pay there own costs. next year we will be dropping the rate tho, along with a few properties...

7. highmark1

highmark1 Junior Member
    from Co

normally I got as follows:
    545 fiat w/12' angle- $150.00/hr w/ 30 min minimum
    247 skid steer- $125/hr w/ 30 minute minimum
    pkup with 7.5' blade- $100/Hr 30 minute minimum
    11 hp tracked honda snowblower- $100/hr 30 minute minimum

I paid all my subs 80-90% depending on how good they were, (ie, good equipment and effecient). The slackers didn't last but one day. When I was out of town snowmobiling or surfing, head sub got 100% and lined everybody else out at 80-90%. But thats just me. Good customer service is worth it. If anybody cut my throat on my jobs, they were done as was the customer they worked the deal with. Life is too short for that kind of crap