1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fair Driveway Price

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by pheasantfarmer, Dec 22, 2009.

1. pheasantfarmer

pheasantfarmer Member
    from MN

Well I am still in high school and I am doing a few driveways in a local town 5 mins away from me. I am charging $30 a plow for plowing/shoveling these 3 car driveways, city sidewalk in front of their house and shoveling the customers walkway and steps. Is that a fair price? I know it is late in the year to get more flyers out but i had a lady ask me about doing her driveway the other day.

I will be putting flyers out to the rest of the 115 homes in the neighborhood. Should i charge $30 again for all the house (since the whole neighborhood is the same driveway size)? Or should i lower my price to $25?

I was also thinking i would like to pick up 3 to 5 more drives so should i also advertise in the neighborhood next door of about 100 homes? If i suspect to pick up another 3 to 5?

Thanks!

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That price seem very fair to me. Especially with all that shoveling. But pricing can be very localized. My driveway prices start at $25. I only shovel at a couple places, I get an extra $10.

3. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I agree with above. 30 is a fair price for drive but I wouldnt shovel the walk unless it was an elderly customer. I go the extra mile for older folks. I have one I charge her 60 for the drive and she was so happy she gave me 75.

Bruce

4. cpsnowremoval

cpsnowremoval Senior Member

I know alot of other people on here that charge an arm and a leg for residential. 25-30 is a good rate to charge thats what i charge anything less is not really worth it unless they live right next to you. depends how much you really want more customers if you do go $25 still making bank at the end of the day.

5. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

What are you using to plow with?.....Trucks cost to upkeep, a quad or something too.....

Kind of have to feel them out...If you have a bunch of houses close to each other, you can give them a group discount, that sort of thing. ....$30 sounds fair.....

6. jb3nh

jb3nh Member
    from eastern

$30-$35 sounds good to me for the dependable service you provide. Plowing is a commitment. Like Poncho just said keep your upkeep cost in mind and try to put a couple bucks away for some sorta break down. Its going to happen eventually. Speaking from experience, Its never a bad idea to keep a couple extra hoses and couple quarts of hydro fluid behind the seat, that sorta stuff comes out of your bottom line, operating cost. If it makes sense to you, discounts for short drive times are definately a great incentive. Sounds like you're on the right track, Good luck young entrepreneur.

7. pheasantfarmer

pheasantfarmer Member
    from MN

Oh ok thanks guys. I think i will keep my $30 rate so that my older customers don't find out and get mad.
    I am using a John Deere 20-25HP lawn tractor with probably a 40 in. 2 stage snowblower. It does a really clean job and I do a better job i think than if i had a plow on my truck and if i have someone shoveling away from the garage doors with me we can get it done within 10 mins.

Well i will let you know how is goes. We are supposed to get up to 1 foot of snow between wednesday and christmas so i thought i should get a few more flyers out today. Thanks Again!

8. palmtree907

palmtree907 Member

All I do is resi, and my rates vary. Minimum charge is $23.50. My most expensive is $85. Most average at $30. Per push. I try like hell to not have to shovel anything, but sometimes they insist. And everytime they pay dearly for it.

9. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

How do you come up with 23.50 instead of 25?

10. palmtree907

palmtree907 Member

proprietary formula. And the customers like it :)

11. pheasantfarmer

pheasantfarmer Member
    from MN

haha can i get that formula?

12. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

It is always a good thing when you can get multiple drives in the same area because you spend less time driving and more time working. You want to remain competive without being the lowballer and shorting yourself. You will learn over time what your area is willing to pay. I don't think 30 is to much.

13. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I wouldn't put out any more flyers. You will get a BUNCH of calls if we get the foot of snow they are forcasting.
    One time pushes I would charge ALOT more

14. palmtree907

palmtree907 Member

one time pushes

I'd be careful with thinking you can charge one time pushes more. A lot of my one timers have turned into regulars. Being fair and honest means being consistent too.

15. pheasantfarmer

pheasantfarmer Member
    from MN

yeah same with me a few 1 time $30 pushes have turned into normal $30 pushes everytime it snows 2 inches

16. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

That's when you tell them "you get a better rate if your a regular customer"
    You can usually tell the one timers cuz they call in aq panic and want done RIGHT AWAY.
    Living in a small town helps you know the customer base too

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I try to be fair and consistent with my one time/will calls. I had a guy call with a good sized gravel drive. Normally used a snowblower but it was a big storm and he was getting old. Two entrances on a hairpin curve of a busy road. It's a bad spot, really only safe to do it at night. Charged him a little better than average that time. Turned into a full time gig mid season last winter. He passed away last spring. Still charging the same. But I had another one, woman stopped me at the convenience store. Was hurrying to get out to the airport, he was recovering from surgery and couldn't run the tractor. Two swipes, told her $20. She gave me $40.