1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

faint knocking

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 2000sierra, Jun 14, 2003.

1. 2000sierra

2000sierra Junior Member

While doing an oil change (5.3) and being under the truck inspecting oil filter, I'm hearing a faint hollow knocking sound at Idle. Is this normal? I called my mechanic who is very good and he said he had traced it on a number of vehicles to something in the drivetrain but found nothing out of place. The truck runs great never had a problem. I was just wondering if anyone had information on this symptom. Thanks.

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

It is likely piston slap,the 5300 and 6000 are well known for this.If you are concerned,do an oil analysis at your next oil change,if there's a problem,the analysis will show high wear metals,and any other problems.

3. 2000sierra

2000sierra Junior Member

oil analysis

Thanks. Who does oil analysis?

4. John DiMartino

Here's where a lot of guys get them.An oil sample can tell you a lot about your engine.It is also a good idea to do periodic samples to see how the engine is doing,and compare it to the last sample. I get mine from Shaeffer's oil company,we get 3 free test kits with every oil order. Blackstone has them, here they are.My buddies all get them from here,we found a serious problem in my brother in laws 01 SS camaro's LS1 motor with only 20K miles on it. If not for the sample we would have never known the extent of the damage. http://www.blackstone-labs.com/body_index.html

5. 2000sierra

2000sierra Junior Member

Thank You.

6. John DiMartino

Your welcome, let us know how the sample comes back once its analyzed. :) John