1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Failing red/black connection

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Avitare, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Every year I go thru the same thing with the main pump power connection.
    Clean, dialectric, pry-open the 'male' ends -- and they still giggle loose.

After 8years, maybe there is too much wear.

Has anyone come up with a better connector ??

We have a Shorestation boat hoist with a rectangular connector and it has
    a more positive connection. I havent seen if it is possible to buy the connectors.

There has to be a better way.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I switch them over the "Anderson" style connectors. Their not a sealed connector but they're durable and self cleaning.. here's a link to where I buy them..Waytek. Go to products>connectors-multi pin>Anderson

You can buy them at some NAPA store too, but they ain't cheap there.
  3. Bb

thanks , they look very similiar to the connectors for the Shorestation pump.

Which connector did you select??

Do you just cut,strip the cable and solder the metal ends ??

And, it looks like they have the rubber covers to protect when not
    plowed up.

thanks again
    tc KC and Jetta
  4. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Medium connector 175 amp will do it. In Red or Grey.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep, those are the ones...I usually use the red bodied ones...guys like when they match the plow. :D Bling bling The stock cables should be 4 gage so thats the terminal size you'll want to buy.

I just cut the old connector ends off and solder the new terminals on right on the truck.
  6. Jerre Heyer

Part of the problem is that the 4GA wire is at it's max for operation as are the pins when you are putting the plow to heavy use. You can cut off the old plugs and re terminate with the new connectors for an easy fix.

We've been using 2 GA super Flex welder grade wiring on them for a couple of years now with a lot of success. Replace the wires into the motor too if you want to see a real increase in performance.

Also there is a Extreme duty solenoid that will set you back about $35-55 depending on where you get it from that will really help out too. It's the stock Blizzard solenoid for the HD plows and the Power Plows. We did a lot of research in finding this unit and the only failures have been due to direct shorting out of the power wires. Allows greater amp flow thru the solenoid.

7. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I called boss about this problem and talked straight to the Engineering manager, Jody Christy, she told me that they have revised this design, and each connection has two sleeves now. I was having a hard time understanding what she was describing, but apparently if you get new boss power cables they will send the new style ones. I've been having the same problem.
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I'm aware of that too... but nobody wants to listen though when I try and explain it. :sleeping:

I always thought it was kinda useless for Boss to include a 1 gage pos wire for the battery to solenoid connection but then neck it down to 4 gage with a cable thats 4 times longer than the batt to solenoid cable. Still better than some plow manufactures though.

Jerre, I've always had good results with the stock Boss UHS (current wise, used in other applications) . I've tested them all the way to 450 amp and found very little resistances in them. Better solenoid IMO than some of the stock solenoids that come with some plow brands. Are the stock Blizzard UHS that much better? Never used one yet. Whats the resistance through them, say at 400 amp?

Last season I upgraded a Boss with 2 gage on the truck side (still need to do the plow side yet). And I used one of these UHS for an upgrade to the stock Boss UHS as a "test unit". Just going to the bigger cables on the truck side the owner noticed a difference in pump power. Like I said, still need to get some bigger cable on the plow side yet. Just by upgrading the truck side cables alone, I measured an actual 15% decrease in the motor current draw. :nod:
  9. Jerre Heyer

That's the New Blizzard one. 15-20 %/ less is seen easily.

10. summary?

Anderson - medium duty 175amp ends

Switch to #2 wires (is the line from the battery to the solinoid already #2?)
    I will look this morning.

Change to HD solenoid : Blizzard HD OR BOSS UHS??

I have replaced the solenoid twice with standard auto parts. And know it to
    be a weakness.

I think I can find an Anderson set, and the wires.
    Can you help with more specifics for the solenoid ?? I will try Truck and Trailer
    in Boyne Falls.
    Wonder what Boss has decided to use ??

btw the storm went south of us and the flat-landers are dealing with it today.
    so I am thinking about going out and cleaning up a few stragglers from last weeks

tc,KC and Jetta
  11. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Me too. Had them on the plows for years and never a problem, ever.

I also replace the other connector with a pair of nice HD tractor-trailer trailer light connectors, one size for lghts, another for operations. They are cheap, never give me trouble, look good... and to top it off, no one can just yank the plow off me in a parking lot and hook up to their own truck and expect it to work.. :D No one's stolen it yet...! (knock on wood)
  12. Jerre Heyer

Boss is still running there standard solenoid. J
  13. replacement solenoid

help me identify the recommended solenoid
    I dont know the units mentioned

tc KC and Jetta
  14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I used the 1101211010.

If you click where it says "part numbers" it's the first one in the list.

Or I'm sure Jerre can hook you up with a Blizzard solenoid if they're using the Trobetta ones...
  15. Jerre Heyer

There using the 114-1211-020-02
    12V continuous duty.