1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

failing bulk Saltdogg spinner motors

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Anyone else have problems, IE not spinning or slowly?

Its not a connection issue, they just suck. We've torn two down already in the last season, and one had to brush off all the magnets and brushes, basically just surface rust, the motor housing seal failed.

Two others now spin garbage slow...

I know they're not as big of a disc as our SHPE4000 units, "which spread insanely powerful and a huge path behind the truck, generally 40-50 feet or more, but our SHPE 1500/2000 units are lucky to spread 20 feet versus the shpe4000 with a 14" disc is over double?

We can shoot salt INTO a store front with the 4000 and hardly even hit the curb with the 2000.

I know folks talked about an aftermarket spinner "made in usa" motor that was a solid $200-300 , which is a ton more than the $100~ made in china buyers oem motor... anyone have a link of where to buy one? Its wasting an enormous amount of time how many passes we have to make with such a narrow path.. i mean borderline the same width as our Boss tailgate hopper spreaders. Thanks!

2. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

*** subscribing

3. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I have no idea of where you heard about USA made spinner motors.I brought mine into an electrical motor repair store last Winter to see if something could be done to add some power or if a higher HP motor could be substituted.Answer was basically NO.The owner said it is a POS,which we already know.

4. Lunarlandscape

Lunarlandscape Member

I am having the same problem with our 1500.

5. Lunarlandscape

Lunarlandscape Member

Subscribed

6. finallygot1

finallygot1 Member

Everybody complains about the SHPE 1500/2000. I have used one for three years now, I was lucky when I bought a used unit and got the old white face controller so I am not having those issues. It amazes me that Buyers will continue to tell use, the people that use these everyday that there is not a problem with the spinner. I had to put my TGS07 on the other day as i was forced to run bag salt for one event. I forgot how nice it spreads salt. We got our load of bulk in and just for the heck of it I loaded some bulk in the TGS07 and it spreads better than the SHPE. It doesn't make sense to me, The spinner is smaller on the TGS and does not have the fins on top like the SHPE. There has to be some way to make these V Boxes work. Buyers will not tell us how as it would admit the is a problem. I agree with Ramairfreak, I can't even hit the sidewalk with mine.

7. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

we run 2 v boxes, 1500 and 2000. the 2000 was bought new in 2006 or 2007 and till this day we have never had a problem. the 1500 was bought used last year and the only thing I had to do was replace the vibrator. our spinners spin crazy just on 5 and 6

8. finallygot1

finallygot1 Member

Spinning crazy but where does the salt go?

9. dodgegmc1213

where ever your salting. alil more throws to the driver side but it works perfect. I can go down the middle of a 2 1/2 or 3 car wide roadway with the auger on 3 and spinner on 6 or 7 and the salt will hit curb to curb

10. finallygot1

finallygot1 Member

About how much do you have the baffles open?

11. dodgegmc1213

I never measured them but rough guess I say 2 1/2 - 3inches. ill prob be salting tomorrow ill take some pics of the baffles and videos of it working

12. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I know 2 different guys had some problem and not sure what they did to fix it I know one guy traded his in for a different brand red one I 'll ask the other guy see how he fix his

13. bln

bln Senior Member

I had one that would work fine on one lot and not work on the next then eventually not spin at all. So I bought a new spinner motor and that fixed the problem temporarly. Then the new one started doing the same thing. I plugged the old one back in and it works fine. weird.

14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Fwiw, the UTG motors are no better.

Pattern, throw, or longevity.

Can't wait til this spreader is only a memory.

15. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

great..

ill post up pics later today of our spinner motors off the shpe2000s.

We wash these things religiously and they're always stored indoors all year.

the gaskets on the spinner motors are like wet paper...

We just bought two custom karrier brand fancy harnesses for two of the trucks... they are NICE! but not the problem, or only problem of the saltdogg shpe models we own.

Two days ago, spinner spins "slowly" and would spin faster after spinning for a minute, but still NOT fast enough at all. Guys took out the truck, stopped spinning.. Brought back to shop, got it to spin, an hour later same deal.

it worked this morning for me testing it for an hour, then i noticed it was clunky.. but pulling lots of amps.. taken apart, inside looks like you dropped a pound of rust/parts into a blender.. i have no idea how this !@$%#$ POS still spun period an hour ago.

We're dissasembling the rest of the .25hp motors as we speak..

I think we're going to custom invert mount the .5hp $325 spinner motor off the shpe3000/4000 onto these and install 14" spinner poly plates we already have here..

16. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

If you get that to work take plenty of pics,
    I'd be interested to do the same to mine

17. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

Wow! I bought mine in 04 I think and it was great! Sold it in 09. Never did anything to it but wash and grease it. Hundredsssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of tons went through it. I remember the controller getting so hot you couldn't touch it from constant use. A friend of mine bought one a year ago and I saw it spreading last week and couldn't believe how it was spreading compared to my old one. I was going to buy another but im not feeling it anymore.
    I currently own a under tailgate spreader and it works good. A friend liked mine so much he bought one mid January this year and man was he mad! They changed it!!!!! It has a grate! And the spinner will not run over 6.

18. GMC Driver

GMC Driver Senior Member

We have 4 units in the fleet - 2 1500s an 2 2000s. We have learned to keep spare motors of each on the shelf, doesn't seem to matter what kind of PM you do, once a year the motors sh!t the bed. I'm starting to grow weary of them as well. I must admit that the 2000s have been better. But the 1500s are getting tired (one of them is serial #11 or 16 - very early unit).

In the future I'm gonna stick with SS units, 3/4 HP Leeson motors, no variable speed - the KISS concept has given us the least amount of trouble. So long as the guys keep them greased.

19. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

:popcorn::popcorn:

20. GMC Driver

GMC Driver Senior Member

Or I could go to central hydraulics...

What I'm really thinking is that for the cost of outfitting 2 trucks with central hydros and hydro spreaders, I can likely find a ex-muni unit all ready to go.