1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

failed emisions testing today HELP...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by golfmanres, Dec 2, 2003.

1. golfmanres

golfmanres Senior Member

:realmad: So today being nice out side i decided to get off of my lazy A** and go get my truck inspected. They do the safety everything checks out. Then it comes to emisions. OK it is a chevy 1998 k2500 ext cab with 5.7, Never had a problem. I was ideling for about 30-45 minutes in the parking lot before the testing. They pull it into the garage bay and he hooks it up to the computer. Starts the testing and it failed for HC. it is passable at 125 and i failed at 126 one point over the legal limit. Now they tell me that HC is hydro-carbons which is unburnt fuel. So i called the dealer and he asked if i was ideling for a while before testing i told him yes and he asked me if i had changed the oil and i said no i was going to do that when i got home. The dealer told me it could have been that i was ideling for a long time and not all of the fuel was being burned off. So when he put it on the computer it spat out all the unburnt fuel. I need some input. The inspection station told me to drop it off and they would look at it. Before droping it off i changed the oil (mobil 1 syntec) it has a new air filter. The inspection stating told me it could be three things, air filter, oil, or spark plugs. Ok my chevy is rated for platinum plugs and i had champion plugs in it. The inspection station charged me 74.20 to tell me that i need to change my plugs but couldnt confirm to me if that was going to fix anything. He was saying if the wrong plugs are in my truck IE not platinum that the computer would get messed up and it wouldnt burn all of the fuel. So i need some HELP from some mechanics out there. I am going to change the plugs in the Morrning to the platinum ones. Also the dealer told me to add to the gas a chemical called GAURANTEED TO PASS made By CRC and run the complete tank through the truck and i will pass dont know if it will work but i am going to try all of the above. Hopefully someone could please help me figure out why my truck failed in the first place.

p.s. i live in virginia one of the hardest next to california.

Thank you
  2. Dan S.

Dan S. Member

Dirty oil can cause problems passing those tests, I wouldn't think spark plugs would be a problem unless they were really off on the heat range or one was fouled. You might want to replace your PCV valve also before you go back to retest, I think HC is measured in PPM (parts per million) so you did not miss it by much, I have seen people fail and then immediately drive through the test station again and pass, so it may not be all your problem the test equipment may not be 100% either.
    I have never heard of anyone having success using those fuel additives, your money better spent on tune-up parts.
    Good Luck
  3. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

thats bullsh.. in my opionion they should have waved you the dirty bastards.now to your problem how many mile s on your truck the platnum plugs are good for 1 hundred thousand miles.next when you go dont let the truck idle for that long the dealer was right about that if you can be the first one their. also do you self favor and buy an extra gas cap just in case they fail you for that then return it if you want.your gas cap has to hold pressure if not you will fail but if you have a new one with you at least you wont have to go back.thats all i can help you with.good luck brother man
  4. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

For the easiest solution go to the DMV and register the truck with truck tags. I think it costs like 50 bucks more but you won't have to have emissions testing at all with those tags. You just need to tell the DMV person it is a work truck that it constantly pulling a trailer. All my trucks are registered in MD but a bunch of my buddies have done this to get around emissions in VA
  5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

dont let it idle a bunch but make sure she is nice and hot.