1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Factory Tranny Cooler Ok?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by danno, Nov 27, 2004.

1. danno

danno Senior Member

I`ve got a 96 5.9 with the HD Service package, HD Engine Cooling, and Auto Trans Aux. oil cooler. Where is it located, and would it be ok for doing a few driveways?

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

It should be in front of radiator and if it has on you are okay for some plowing cooling wise.

3. danno

danno Senior Member

Don`t see it located in front of condenser, unlessits running between, or somewhere else?

4. Tarkus

If you cannot see it, it may not have one. It might just be a bigger one in radiator. They are not hard to add on.

5. danno

danno Senior Member

I thought of that too, but it says Auxiliary. That should mean another, I think. :confused:

6. danno

danno Senior Member

I thought of that too, but it says Auxiliary. That should mean another, I think. :confused: Anyway, why I`m concerned is, I had a slight leak coming out of the tranny cooling line ( on the rubber part of the line, near the radiator). I bought new lines and a tranny temp gauge that tees off of the tubing. Someone said while the lines are being replaced, put a tranny cooler in. The transmission shop said depending on what size,type etc., the new lines might have to be cut or not used. I can`t return the new lines, since they`re a "special order" from the stealer. Then I remembered it said on the window sticker that came with the truck, about the aux. cooler. I`m wondering if I should install the new lines with the gauge and feel the aux. cooler is good enough ? Or spend more money with another tranny cooler and modifying the new lines ? :help:

7. Tarkus

Danno, for my nickel unless you can see a external aux cooler, I would install one and make lines to fit it too. You want to route oil through radiator cooler first then aux cooler. It is very cheap tranny insurance.

8. cm82pa

cm82pa Junior Member

Trans Cooler

I take it that this is a 5.9 gas engine not a diesel? If it is a gas the cooler will be located between the condenser and a radiator. If you follow the cooler lines around the rad support you should see them. As far as how it will handle the heat. It should be ok, if you are doing just a couple of driveways. Just take your time and make sure that you give the trans time to cool a little. Remember that Dodge trucks do NOT flow when in park! So to cool the trans better sit there in nuetral to allow cooler flow with out any load on the trans. Also Always check your fliud in Nuetral. There are shift kits avalible for that transmission that can help with snow plowing if intrested email me and I can explain some issues with those.

9. danno

danno Senior Member

Thanks guys, I think I might have a new cooler installed, since I have the new lines. They probably have to be adapted, I guess.

10. Tarkus

I alway place them in front of A/C condensor oand on the driver sider front if it is a crossflow radiator or near top if it is a down flow to minimize impact on cooling system. Remember run it through aux cooler last

11. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

You can do some modifications, too with the valve body and the torque converter, as well as an auxilllary cooler that will make your transmission virtually bulletproof.
    If I were plowing with an auto I would look into companies like ATS and DTT who specialize in severe duty automatic transmissions for Dodge pick ups.
    Something had to be done when Dodge decided to put an auto behind the 5.9 Cummins.

http://www.ATSDiesel.com
    http://www.dieseltrans.com

I know you don't own a diesel, but some of the trannys are the same as yours. One of the most impressive automatics I've ever seen is the one in Bill Kondolay's personal Dodge. He drove 1800 miles to Muncie, IN. Competed in a sled pull, then drove 1800 miles home. All the same week. All the same transmission. Bill owns Diesel Trans Tech.

12. Tarkus

Strange thing is, I have not lost my first auto tranny on a plow truck ever. I keep then stock with fairly stock tire diameters and make sure they have a tranny cooler too and change the fluid and filter every year if it is a bad winter or every few years if not. You keep a tranny cool it will take lot of "pullin and pushin" with relative ease.