1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Factory or Aftermarket Spray on Bedliner?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by s_melchi, Feb 20, 2008.

Factory or Rhino, Line-X aftermarket bedliner.

1. Factory

2 vote(s)
  2. Aftermarket

24 vote(s)
  1. s_melchi

s_melchi Senior Member

Ford is introducing their own Factory Spray on Bedliner in 2009 in limited quantities in the Super Duty. Would you rather have a factory installed product or a product from an aftermarket company like Line-X, Rhino, etc..
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I know that if you buy a truck they send it out for spraying anyway. Just more profit for them now.
  3. s_melchi

s_melchi Senior Member

4. Grass Master

Grass Master Banned

I have had both Line-x and Rhino liner applied to my trucks, the Rhino hands down is a better product it has held up better for me and was applied much thicker. Perhaps our local Line-x dealer is making substandard applications but much happier with the Rhino.
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I have Line-X on mine.
    I don't think you would want it any thicker.
    It is 5yrs old and it still looks good no sun fading, chipping or pealing.
  6. Grass Master

Grass Master Banned

I foregot to mention its on a dodge, I need all the ballest I can Get.
  7. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I'd go for factory, provided it's as good as the Rhino I had put into mine. I figure, why not do whatever you can to avoid product failure or damage when you KNOW it's destined for that with the first load of gravel, the first time a spreader goes in it, running your snowmobile into the bed, etc? Anything that makes truck delivery a little more convenient, because we all know how aggravating it is to coordinate the drop offs, pick ups, and working without a truck for that day it's in for spraying.
  8. s_melchi

s_melchi Senior Member

The most you would be without your truck would be one day. Most people have them installed before they ever take delivery. So I am not sure if downtime is really a big factor.

Now finding someone to repair your bedliner in your Super Duty at the dealership will most definitely be a problem. They will more than likely take it to someone in the aftermarket industry to have it fixed. The Nissan spray on bedliners are fixed by Line-X dealers because the dealers aren't set up to repair them. Plust the factory warranty from Ford probably won't cover damaged caused by everyday use. And it's only going to be a three year warranty where the aftermarkets are lifetime.
  9. gotsnow?

gotsnow? Senior Member

Aftermarket for sure! Like you said Scott, warranty repairs are much easier done through a local bed liner dealer rather then trying to go through a car dealer who will then have to send the truck to whoever put the factory bedliner on for them.

By the way, I vote Line-X over anything else, but that could be 'cause I've had Line-Xing on two seperate trucks I've owned and I could not complain; holds up extremely well, and doesn't fade like some other liners. Also the texture is extremely "grippy", unlike some Rhino liners I've seen that are relatively smooth thus allowing your load to slide around...
  10. ZoomByU

ZoomByU Member

I would say aftermarket for a bedliner, most likely be cheaper.
  11. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Line-x is the #1 bed liner on the market, WAY better then Rhino liner.
  12. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Why? you're obviously entitled to an opinion, but it's the same as me making a blanket statement that GM is best & not giving an explanation
  13. jschro

jschro Junior Member

I have seen the Nissan factory spray, and you can see through it, so thin..They use a PPG product, and the guy I talked to said it turned white on him within the year and the dealer sent it out to the Ultimate Xtreme Lining to have it resprayed. I do not know what product Ford is going to use, but the aftermarket sprays depending on the applicator, for I have seen some ugly Rhinos done, gloppy and runny. The Xtreme liner really looks great, and I would have my truck done with that product. The dealers will not be able to repair the liner if Ford does them, and the warranty will not, I feel, will be the same as the lifetime aftermarket gives.