1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Factory locking diff

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jlsanborn, Jun 15, 2003.

1. jlsanborn

jlsanborn Member

The build sheet for my '77 K30 (ff 14 bolt) shows a locking differential. Going straight away on loose gravel both rears will drive. You can hardly tell that it is not an open diff. What is this animal? I am assuming that it is a limited slip unit. Is it worth going through or would a Detroit Locker be a better choice?

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

It is most likely a limited slip.I would keep it if it seems to be working well.

A Detroit locker is stronger,and works better off road,but the limited slip is better for on road use and for plowing.

3. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

If you have the factory gov-loc you need a case as well if you install a detroit. If the factory one works leave it as they do work great. But I would install the detroit if you were going to rebuild it.

4. jlsanborn

jlsanborn Member

What do you mean by a new case?
    My truck is a crew cab with a 100 yard turning radius and don't expect that the locker would be much trouble on the road. My need for traction would be for yarding big logs up onto logging roads with a snatch block. Maybe an occasional power show for a testosterone boost.:gunsfiring:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2003
  5. wyldman

wyldman Member

You would need a new case,as the case for a gov-lock is different from a normal style.

The case,being the piece the ring gear is bolted to,with the pinion shaft and spider gears inside.The housing,which you think should be called the case,is called the carrier.

With a long wheelbase truck,you won't feel the locker as much,but you still may feel it.It would probably provide better traction for pulling stuff,but if your current diff is working OK,then why change it ?

6. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL