1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

factory installed battry on 98 gmc not charging

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by the new boss 92, Jan 14, 2014.

1. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i have a 98 gmc 3500 with the 5.7 and the factory battery installed. I run most of my accessory's for the truck off it such as lights and strobes. one day went to use them and nothing and cant figure out why it wont charge. I hooked jumper cables up to it and it charges off the other battery just fine. if I take the charge wire off the solenoid and put it on a 40 amp fuse on the fuse panel it will blow the fuse. I cant figure it out and cant find and trouble shootings any ware. has anyone had this happen to them?

I charged the battery overnight and threw it on a tester and its still good.

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

The alternator is shot? That would be the first thing to look at. I'm not quite sure why you took a cable off the solenoid and put it on the fuse panel? Hopefully you didnt fry the whole fuse box doing that

3. the new boss 92

I took it off cause it wasn't getting any power there and it had some corrosion on it. so I cleaned both the connections on the solenoid and put them back on and nothing. so I figured silonoid it shot(didn't replace it yet) so I put it on a fused source so I wouldn't hurt anything but blow a fuse and that's what happened. when I take jumper cabels and jump it off the other battery its fine and nothing gets warm or hot, so im kind of at a loss with it. the only thing I could think of is the battery was drawing so hard cause it was dead and blew the fuse? idk I have never delt with a factory installed one, only ones I have added and wired myself.

4. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Is this a second battery or just one in the truck

5. the new boss 92

this is the second one on the driver side of the truck.

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Get rid of the factory dual batt set up. It's junk and will not always work right. Just hook the 2 batts in parallel and call it a day. Pos to pos. And neg to frame or engine

7. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

Well, if it's "factory installed", that's the problem. It's a 16 year old battery!

Just because a battery takes a charge and holds it for a little while doesn't mean it's good. How many volts are measured at the battery? Once it's at or near 12 volts it's shot.