1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Factory bump stop question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mpriester, Dec 6, 2011.

1. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

Mines a 2005 2500hd 6.0 with plow prep. my factory bump stops(load boosters) are making contact with the lower control arm as it is set up, when the plow is lifted it only drops about 1/2", my question is. is it a common thing for the factory bump stops to be sitting against the lower control arm when there is no added weight on the front? Im not too concerned about it mainly just curious.Thank You

2. gwhalen3

gwhalen3 Member

Yes this is normal. I just replaced mine with the timbrens bump stops. It actually improved the ride unweighted too. The OEM bump stops were junk I thought. Super soft.

3. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Timbrens DO NOT improve the ride... How could they? they're like hockey pucks, not your riding on that... For a real smooth ride turn up the torsion bars about 4-6 turns!

4. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

whats the best way to turn up the torsion bars and will it hurt anything if i do this? This is the first Chevrolet i have ever owned and like it way more than any others i have had. Thank You

5. Triple L

from Canada

Crawl under by the door handle of the truck, you'll see the cross member with 2 bolts, jack the front of the truck up and put an 18mm socket on and turn them both exactly the desired amount you want... Try 4 turns... They say you should get a allignment done but I never have and my tires wear perfect... First hand experience I found timbrens make the truck ride like a lumber wagon... Guess to some people that's "better"

6. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

This is correct. I would get it aligned. Every time I've not aligned afterwards, they wear the outside edges badly. But I usually crank em almost all the way in.

7. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

Thank You and stay Safe this year. Mike

8. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I will agree with the timbrens do not improve the ride, but I will disagree that cranking up you torsion bars will give you a real smooth ride. You are adding additional spring tension when you turn up the torsion bar bolts, thus causing a harsher ride, not to mention that you will most likely be riding up hill with out the plow on. I personally like the timbrens better than putting additional tension on my springs, I am willing to give up a little bit of ride for a better way of carrying a load

9. Triple L

from Canada

When you crank up the torsion bars your giving extra room for the lower control arm to move before it hits the bump stop... The torsion bars are made to do what they do, I'm not the least bit concered about adding stress to them... GM's have a slant tobegin with, it basically levels the truck out when the blade isn't on... I don't care what anyone does, I'm just saying you can get a better ride empty and loaded for free and make the truck look and sit better by cranking them up... Until you do it you'll never know so I'm not gonna argu...

I'll agree to disagree

10. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

I've only ever owned GMs. Every one of them got the bars cranked. They DO NOT ride better. They ride stiff after you crank em, but they carry weight much better.

11. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Just bumped up my front tire pressure from 60 psi to 70 psi. Tomorrow going to crank up the torsion bars. One side is already 1" higher from the factory. I think they must have put a rush on the order and skipped some kind of final inspection. If I put timbren on I'd like it to be similar to the rear timbren that have give and balloon out.

12. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Totally agree and I actually like my improved ''great GM feeling.''

13. JimACM

JimACM Junior Member

When you guys adjust the t bars do you just count turns and adjust both exactly the same amount or should you measure frame or top of wheel well to ground and make the truck level. If I want to raise aprox 1" is that aprox 3 turns ?
    Also after the snow season I don't see any reason to not take the 5 min and back them off the same number of turns so the ride is like it was
    Thanks for any advice
    Jim

14. gwhalen3

gwhalen3 Member

I tightened them fully up then backed off two revolutions.( so i have even tension). Seems great to me. I also have the timbrens bump stops. Rides like a dream with the plow on and seems damn good with it off too. I certainly don't mind.

15. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

I count the turns, and take them in about 3/4 of the way. I then measure the frame rails, to make sure both sides are even, adjust as needed. Send it in for an alignment.

I personally am just used to the stiff ride, and kind of like it. I just leave mine alone after its aligned. I just drop the tire pressure in the front come spring.

You do need to align it, as you are changing the camber angle. It WILL wear the outside edge of the tire, trash ball joints and wheel bearings at an accelerated rate if you dont align it.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  16. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

i turned mine up 4 turns, in my opinion it improved the handling and ride, handling is more responsive especially on curves and the ride is more of a solid feel and it is smooth riding not harsh or stiff atleast on my truck plus i gained a well needed inch. tomorrow morning im off the get it aligned.Thanks fellas for your help.

17. Triple L

from Canada

but everyone says its gonna make your truck ride rougher.... :rolleyes:

18. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

I know they do, i put about 20 mile on it tonight after i turned them up and its not rough riding at all, i live on back bumpy pa. roads and rides great, maybe if i had 10 ply tires with 70# of air it would ride rough but i only have 50# of air and its fine.

19. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

Cranking the t-bars makes the suspension slightly stiffer because of the change in geometry, but only ever so slightly. Imagine if the a-arm could be cranked enough to go vertical, there is no give at that point, so you'd have no suspension, infinite spring rate. Cranking usually gets you closer to vertical, but only slightly more so, so yes it is stiffer, but only slightly. Cranking the bolts does not make the torsion bars stiffer, or preload them in any way. The ride will only really change if you need a crank to lift off the bump stops (probably a good change), or if you crank so high that you have no down travel left (a bad change).

If you are on your bumpstops unloaded, I would guess that cranking the bars to alleviate that situation actually would make it ride better. I would recommend an alignment check of the toe and camber. Lifting the front end causes the tie rods and upper a-arms to to go more vertical as well, effectively shortening them and giving you more toe in and camber, which will wear tires.

20. JimACM

JimACM Junior Member

Thanks for the advise