1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Factor bed -dump

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pollini, Jan 12, 2004.

1. pollini

pollini Junior Member
    from MA

I know that this is a bit off topic...buy this group seems to have so much knowledge that I know I can get some good answers here.

I am considering buying one of those hydraulic scissor lift kits that install under the factory 8 ft bed.

I do some light landscaping (dirt/crushed stones) and some demolition work for remodeling room/apts.

Do you have any experience with these? Recommendations? Are they just junk? Will the factory bed take the abuse?

I appreciate any help.:drinkup:
  2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

they seem to work well they also have a kind that uses an inflatable bag i dont know the co site also those drop in dumps are very good
  3. pjslawncare

pjslawncare Member

I have a unit on my F-250 and I love it. My truck has a flatbed on it though. Got it from Norther tools for $1300 and installed it myself. Takes a bit of welding. I was skeptical at first becouse it doesnt look very tough, but after three years Ive never had a problem. I have hauled as much as 4500 lbs (guess) and dumps just fine.
  4. badranman

badranman Senior Member

There is a thread about this on lawnsite.com. Most people said they have heard of the bed buckling. Might be better to go with a dump insert.
  5. ronsracing

ronsracing Member
    from CT

I looked into putting a dump on the pickup bed but after all consideration I went with a dump insert.
  6. DJL

DJL Senior Member

This is my first year in business and in addition to lawn maintenance I do snow plowing. I was in the need for some type of dump body for hauling bulk materials. I'm not experienced nor do I have the ability to keep an old truck running. In addition, there was the issue of then insuring the vehicle, it was not going to be cost effective. I looked into making my bed into a dumper and even looked into a dump insert. Not only were they going to run me a couple of thousand but they had a low cubic capacity, IMO.

To try and make a long story short (too late :D )...I went ahead and purchased a dump trailer. It was more than a dump insert would cost but much less than a dump truck. It was/is much more beneficial.

I can get 9-10 cubic yards of mulch in it or 4 tons of sand/stone in it. I also use it to haul away organic matter (i.e leaves, brush, tree limbs, etc...) It is much lower to the ground so small front end loaders and myself can easily put debris in it at any location. Plus, I now have a place to keep my tools (i.e. wheelbarrows, blowers, etc.) in the bed of the truck. As far as insurance goes, I have a rider with my commercial insurance for it.

Don't know if this helps but for my situation it has worked out really, really well.
  7. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

I bought my first truck from my boss. It had a dump insert. It worked well, and dumped anything you put in it. The floor is very strong and can handle a lot of weight. My only concern is that it weighs about 800lbs and I need all the weight capacity I can get.

Well I know own my own company and am going to buy that same dump body off the 3rd party.

I like dump trailers, they have their place. My advice is to buy one strong enough and big enough to hall a bob-cat as well.
  8. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

Load Hog makes that bag inflate dump attachment that plowman45 is talking about. It supposable very durable and easy to install. However you have to find a different way to fill your gas tank because you can no longer fill it from the side like you used to.
  9. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I have one in my 81 F250 for the last 7 years. I love it. I have put 2 yards of stone in it which overloaded the truck. It had no trouble dumping and never bent the bed. I haul all kinds of stuff and lots of sand/salt. I have the VENCO VP6 pick up hoist. It was mainly a bolt in kit but its based on there large dump truck hoist. Go to WWW.VENTURO.COM to see it. What ever kit you get make sure you get the double action hoist. NOT the single action. The double action gives you power down and will hold the body down tight to the frame. The single action is gravity down and the body just sits on the frame and will bounce and make alot of noise when driving over bumps. It cost me $1200.00 and installed it my self on a Saturday.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2004
  10. DJL

DJL Senior Member

We have a Bri-Mar dump trailer. I forget the exact dimension but it is something like 7' by 16' with a 12,000# GVWR and 4T payload. It has ramps that store under the dump body for loading tractors and various wheeled/tracked equipment in the back. We have loaded a Kubota L35 in it on a number of occasions without a problem. The only issue was we have to raise the backhoe just a bit so it clears that front wall of the trailer.
  11. Landscape80

Landscape80 Senior Member

Make sure that if you are checking out dump beds that will physically mover your truck bed itself that you are still able to keep a trailer hitch on it also (unless you don't ever plan on using a hitch, but better safe than sorry) I looked at a Chevy that had teh airbag dump system under the bed of the truck and when it was up there would have been no way to have a hitch on the frame without bending the bumer all out of shape.......just something to keep your eyes peeled for:eek:

12. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

LANDSCAPE80 I put a hitch on my 86 F250 with the VENCO dump on the factory bed. I moved it back 6" which is what the manufacture said to do. I took a piece of solid 2X2 stock and made my pintle set up 6" longer. It works great and I can leave it on when dumping. The step bumper clears now.