1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Facility manager looking for a way to confirm quantity of bulk salt applied

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by joester, Nov 11, 2011.

1. joester

joester Junior Member

I recently met with a facility manager who is in interested in going with a different vendor than last year. The previous vendor did not meet his expectations, and he felt he was overcharged on the quantity of salt applied (T&M terms). He is not interested in paying "per application" because he has a unique site that is under construction where every storm could require different areas of the property to be salted. He is looking for ideas to confirm that the contractor applied the same amount of salt he is being billed for. To give you an idea, each salt application will require between 8-15 tons of material. Certain sections of the property are zero tolerance, and others are 3" trigger. I have never had a manager be this concerned over this in the past. Can anyone make any recommendations to appease the facility manager, aside from his company being responsible for buying the salt directly? We use both; v-boxes and under tailgate spreaders.

2. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Charge him a per app charge, not including the salt. Store the salt on site. Order 50 tonnes at a time.

He pays for the 50, and you just charge for each time you go and salt.

3. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

That was my thought....let him buy and store the salt

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Don't forget to add a little for loading time.

5. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

And for having a machine to load with.

6. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Have him purchase the salt and charge him plenty for loading and putting it down. If he does this it will only last for one season and he will want to go back to the other way.

7. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

There to my knowledge isn't a good way without spending money on scales, or advanced technology spreaders. This property manager found out & is concerned about my biggest pet peave in this industry. I have been at the snow symposium & heard a contractor state "'if we could put down 200 lbs & charge for a ton we would, but it is ussally 500
    Lbs". I only have one account that is per ton, I always bill for the same tonnage ( basically just do it per trip), everything else is either per visit or all inclusive. This has been going on forever & I don't think there is an end in sight. Good luck

8. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

i had one expirience a long time ago where we did a proerty but before the season we had to weigh each truck loaded with salt that servicesd his property, (we used a l-8000 with a ss vbox and a dump with an under tailgate. (that would give an approx tonnage per truck) and every time we were on site he would actually climb up the truck to make sure the box was completely empty before he would sign the ticket.....pita

9. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Disclose the amount of material you can carry (full) in each of the units you use on site, and charge for each of those as you put them down.

How about a max per app?

The customer wants (x) while trying to measure on (y). "Zero Tolerance" requiring deicing is going to require a different amount of salt each time based on conditions. Sounds like a pissing match will ensue for whoever takes on this disaster.

Just have him buy the salt, you spread.