1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

fac spec f350 dually tire press

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by neilc, Mar 2, 2003.

1. neilc

neilc Junior Member

81 f350 dually dump body, 2wd,door spec sheet gone unreadable,
    looking for factory spec as a starting point, also grvw front and rear, come on guys, who,s got the goods?? don,t make me call a dealership:D

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Can't help you on the GVWR, but if you look on the sidewall of the tires, you will see the max. inflation PSI listed (along with the max. load each tire can carry). The "factory" spec won't apply, unless you still have the original tires from 1981 on the truck. :)

~Chuck

3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

GVW

F 350 dully pick up 10,000

F 350 C and C 11,900 or 12,000, can't remember for sure now.

If the tire size is 235, 85, 16, load range E. It is probably 90 PSI in the rear for max PSI.

Geoff

4. neilc

neilc Junior Member

yeah thanx guys, I know about the side wall spec but was lookin for the fac spec for a starting point. my "inhouse mechanic" only has 40 #s in em and I know that aint right. its a 2wd with plow and sander used at a private school with some road service.just wanted some info before I blast him tommorow.
    I won't tell you how last week one side of the rears snapped off all the lugs, yup truck lying on the drum right inside the front gate, good thing the landscaper wasn't moving more than a crawl, he was about to go get a load of sand.
    Called outside contractor to tow and repair, he said "common problem with duallies, must always check lug torque" not sure who had rears off last.
    this was two days after presidents day storm, its amazing who you have to keep your eyes on :eek:

5. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

I run 65 psi in my dually wheels, same size as yours...E rated

6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

For maximum load capacity, keep your tires inflated to the maximum recommended pressure. In your case, maximum pressure is warranted.

The factory recommendations are a compromise between ride quality and load capacity, in other words, they are posted to satisfy those who seek a non-harsh ride quality.

7. Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto Member

An '81 would've come with bias ply tires, 6.50 x 16 I believe. Recommended tire pressure would've been the max inflation pressure. Your limiting factor now is the original wheels, I think they are only rated at 65 or 70 psi. Check them, the maximum p.s.i. is stamped in the rim. 65 p.s.i. would seem to be a reasonable starting point on a dually.

8. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

My '81 F-350 had 9.50x16.5 standard equipment, in '95 I updated to 235/85/16s. You're right, bias ply was the rule back then.

9. toalpi

toalpi Junior Member
    from CT

Don't blast him just yet, according to the 1988 TIRE GUIDE which goes back to 1978, depending on the GVWR and the wheel base and the original tire size, the rears may call for either 40,45,50,55,60or65. You didn't say what size tire is on there now, or any of the other info. The front tires called for between 35+55. Most people run to much air in all truck tires but especially rear dual's. Do a search on Goodyears web site or any search engine for "Service load and inflation tables" or " Tire load limits (LBS) at various cold inflation pressures (PSI)." For those that are carrying loads at the tires maximum limit, by all means, air um up. Tony