1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Fabrication Ideas/Questions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mnwildfan2k, Oct 12, 2009.

1. mnwildfan2k

mnwildfan2k Junior Member

First off, I am a n00b to this art of snow removal. I have purchased an 87 Dodge Raider soley to fabricate a bracket similar to a snowsport setup. I spent about 2 hours earlier today parusing the site, taking in the hilarities, and looking for ideas. I will be moving into a new house in the country within 4 weeks. My setup will only be used to plow a gravel service drive and our residental drive. I am looking to spend the least amount of money possible on something that will get the job done. The pictures posted are from the site, thanks to randym99, he recieves the proper credit. I have a couple questions before starting on my quest for parts...
    1. My initial thought is a 60" or so ATV 14ga steel blade approx $200 (I will only need the blade since I will be using the "snowsport" floating idea) Because it will be gravel, is there a drawback to using a steel cutting edge vs a rubber edge?
    2. Other idea is an old "rear 3 point blade" from a tractor and either add a rubber edge if needed, or use the steel edge and add a piece of material on the top of the blade to make it taller. (Ive never actually seen one so I'm not sure how much would be added or what material would be used.)
    3. Im thinking a custom made 2" receiver as the attachment for the "float bracket". The Raider is in the shop getting its winter "once over". When I get it back, I will be able to contemplate a little more and see what will work best.

Any tips I should know ahead of time? Feel free to call me a dbag and tell me that I should buy a 2007 Super Duty and drop 6k on a hydraulic set up... You wont hurt my feelings. I know what "need", and the afformentioned would be considered a "want" It would be AWESOME to have a fully setup rig, however, with the new house nearing completion, I REALLY dont have that kind of cash...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Sounds like that setup would get crunched on a gravel drive. Have you considered trying to purchase a used 6' or 6 1/2' setup from a REAL plow manufacturer? Would be not too much harder to adapt & be MUCH more bomber.